Newfoundland Savory Black Pepper Potato Milk Rolls

We are back in Toronto and I’ve just gotten a couple of feeds in and the starter is looking good. However, I needed to get these rolls done for our family dinner at my sister’s quickly. So using IDY I made these rolls. Since my partner is from Newfoundland and they have Newfoundland savory as their local herb that is widely used in stuffing I decided to give him a taste of home by using Newfoundland savory in my mashed potatoes that I’ve added along with black pepper to these milk rolls.

For 13 x 9” pan 24 rolls
egg wash: 1 yolk, 1 tbsp milk and a pinch of salt, beaten…

Cook Tangzhong mixing flour and milk constantly until it becomes a thick roux. Let cool before adding to final dough. Or add to cold milk and egg to cool it down.

Blend room temperature butter and flour together and set aside to incorporate after the dough is well developed.

Whisk together dry ingredients flour salt and yeast.

To mix by hand, add the salt and yeast to the wet ingredients (milk, tangzhong and egg) to dissolve. Next add the flour and mix with a silicone spatula until no dry flour remains. Rest 10-20 mins. Next perform French folds until the dough is well developed. Smear the blended butter/flour onto the dough and then fold to incorporate and then perform further French folds until well developed. Gradually add the mashed potato and knead to incorporate it well into the dough. Form into a tight ball and place in a bowl covered with plastic or a damp cloth and place in a warm place until doubled (about 1hr 30 mins). Alternatively, you could mix the mashed potato and butter and then add the mixture to the developed dough until well incorporated.

Butter a large baking pan. Punch the dough down and then divide into 12 equal portions. Form each into tight boules. Place in the buttered baking pan seem side down. Cover them and allow them to fully proof about 1 hour to 1 hour and 20-30 mins, they should pass the poke test.

After about 30 mins of proofing time, whisk your remaining egg and milk and then brush the small boules.

About 30 mins prior to end of final proof preheat the oven to 350°F.
Immediately prior to baking brush the dough again with the egg and milk mixture.

Bake the rolls uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until the internal temperature is at least 190F. Cover if your rolls get brown early in the baking process.

Remove the bread from the oven but not the pans, brush the tops with butter while hot, and then let cool for 10 minutes before pulling the bread from the pans. You may need to slide a butter knife down the sides of the pan to loosen the bread, but I have found parchment paper to be unnecessary. Sprinkle with fleur de sel if you wish after brushing with butter.

Merry Christmas Bakers!

3 Likes

Merry Christmas to your and yours, Benny. Foods and flavors can be so evocative and nostalgic, and that savory is probably the perfect thoughtful touch. The rolls look perfect. So glad you are able to gather with family. We just left our daughter’s family and will be off to my brother’s soon for Christmas dinner. After a couple years of quarantine, being with family this season is especially poignant. Enjoy!

1 Like

Merry Christmas to you and your family AG. So nice that you were able to see your daughter’s family and also your brother’s family. I hope you enjoyed your family time as we did.
Benny

1 Like

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Benny. You always make the most beautiful buns, and I’ll bet these were a hit with the addition of Newfoundland savory.
Cheers,
Richard

1 Like

Thank you Richard. I hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas. I wish you a happy healthy new year for 2023.
Benny

Benny, these milk rolls look so lovely!….and the recipe looks very intriguing….I might give it a whirl! I had great success with your Purple Potato SD Bread recipe!

I’m not familiar with Newfoundland savory, but the closest ingredient I have is Penzey’s dried savory, so hopefully that’s not too far off-road:)

~ Patricia

1 Like

Thanks Patricia, I always appreciate your comments. I’m glad that you had success with my purple sweet potato SD, I hope you’ll have similar success with these rolls. I’m sure that the savory you have will be excellent. I would say that I would add some savory into the dough itself when I make these again. The savory was a bit too subtle unlike the rosemary version of these I made. Please let me know how they work out for you.
Happy holidays and all the best in the new year.
Benny

1 Like

Benny, is your thread really about the rolls or is it more about the little orange machine that found its way into all of those pictures? :smiley: The roles look great, too. :+1:

1 Like

Ha ha Otis, you’re funny. Yes my orange Ank was somehow in the photos, it is rather eye catching IMHO. But that spot had a bit of sunlight coming through the blinds so I thought it would be a good spot to photograph the rolls.
All the best in the new year to you Otis.
Benny

Thank you, Benny and likewise! And thanks for the suggestion of adding savory to the dough for addtl flavor; think I’ll use crushed savory in the dough and 2-3 whole savory leaves on top.

The black pepper described in recipe title, I’m not seeing listed in the ingredients….pls help:)

1 Like

I like your idea of the savory leaves on top!
The black pepper is to taste when preparing the mashed potatoes as was the Nfld savory. I like to make the mashed potatoes a bit more peppery than usual that way the flavor can come out in the bread.

Really, this is a great way to use leftover mashed potatoes.

Benny

1 Like

Now we need your mashed potato recipe! :heartbeat: Serious! :nerd_face: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really? It isn’t anything special. I peel the potatoes and then cut them into 1-1.5 cm thick quarter slices. Place in a pot covering them with cold water. A couple of good pinches of salt and then bring to a boil. I boil them for about 12 mins or until they are fork tender. I drain the boiling water off the potatoes and then place them back on the stove for a min or two to cook off any excess water. While they were boiling, I pour milk and add pats of butter to a glass measuring cup, again, I don’t measure anything, instead just guessing how much I’ll need for the amount of potatoes I am making. I warm the milk and melt the butter in it in the microwave. Once the excess water is cooked off I turn off the heat of the stove and start to mash the potatoes. I’ll then add some of the milk/butter about ¼-⅓ each time mashing and mixing until I get a creamy texture I want. I’ll then salt, pepper and herb until I like the flavour.
Benny

Sorry I wasn’t clear….just meant type of ingreds and especially the amount of pepper that you mentioned earlier.

I typically use Yukon gold potatoes, either with or without skin depending on preference that day, and whole milk (sometimes mixed with some half&half for extra creamy).

1 Like

I use either Russets or Yukon gold potatoes. I’m sorry but I didn’t measure the black pepper used. I grind it directly into the mashed potatoes and taste as I go to decide if it is enough or not so I don’t have a measurement for the black pepper, savory, milk or butter. For the milk I usually use 1% as that is all I have other than skim, so I’ll go a bit heavier with the butter for the extra fat.
Benny

1 Like

I also typically use 1% milk, altho I use a combination milk/cream…3:1 ratio to simulate whole milk:
3/4C of 1% Milk + 1/4C of Half&Half Cream = roughly the same fat content as whole milk
(that is, IF my math was in the ballpark) And for creamier mash pot, I just use more Half&Half!

1 Like