Newbie’s Guide to Flour for Bread Baking

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

A great intro to types of wheat. Clear, interesting, and we’ll written. Looking forward to the whole book!
JAS

This post clarified many facts about various flours and their behavior in the kitchen while baking! Thanks for this.

I enjoy reading your informative writing. Looking forward to your book!

Thank you Melissa for filling in more detail to the occasional comments that I have heard from Eric’s tutorial videos about wheat grain types. I have had my Mockmill 100 for three weeks and Grandpa’s recent bread is getting decent reviews from family. But I want to explore with more than the three wheat grains and rye that I have purchased from Breadtopia. Some day I would like to approach the Bavarian ‘Mischbrot’ my wife and I learned to love when the Army stationed me in Augsburg, W. Germany 50 years ago. And I want to approach the standard ‘kleba’ that our two daughter’s families living in Prague enjoy daily.

Great summary of grains & their practicality in usages.

Can’t wait to read the book and send it as a gift!

Thank you for all of the tips over the years!

Thank you so much for this article. I’ve ground grain for 30 years and started making primarily sourdough breads in the past 10+ years. I’ve collected cookbooks on sourdough baking trying to learn all that you just posted. I’ve bought items from your store over the years and I’ll probably want to buy your new book. I have one question tho, something you could add to this message - You sell 2 sifters: a 40 and a 50. Which of these sifters would retain more of the fresh ground wheat germ?

Another way to ask my question- 1) I’d like to retain all the germ of the grain I grind. 2) At what point will the bran pop the bubbles needed to raise the bread? Is there a sifter that would give you all the germ, but sift out enough of the bran? Like, how much bran can be left in the ground grain? I think I bought the #40 sifter from you.

Or maybe … I should use your sifter for a certain percentage of the ground flour and then just leave a certain percentage of the flour unsifted.

After grinding grain for decades and only starting to making sourdough in the past decade or so. It was very hard for me to move to not using whole grain. Not until a person mentioned the nature of sourdough as being like predigested, so our body better assimilates it - even if just making it with store bought flours. It’s better for our gut, so healthier. Do you mention this in your new book?

Very useful info for newbie starting their bread baking journey. Thanks.

Thanks for the update. Your sourdough starter is superb! Thanks for keeping us informed…

Lots of great info- thanks!

Even though I have been baking bread for years I consider myself a newbie and am still learning. Breadtopia is my go to for introduction! I think it’s fabulous you wrote a book. Congratulations!!

Shortly after I discovered sourdough baking, I found Breadtopia. They have a lot of knowledge and passion within this realm. This article is an example. I love their flours, tools and recipes. Thanks for being there, Breadtopia!

What a great guide that is comprehensive and yet compact. It has 90% of what you will ever need to know as a baker.

Very useful information, thank you!

I’m a real newbie but eager to learn. I need all the help I can get!

I’m just getting ready to foray into making sourdough with alternative flours. A friend told me about Breadtopia. Glad to have found you! The book looks useful. So much to know.