New to milling, using fresh, whole grain

Hi. I’m new here. My wife and I live in Iowa. She started making sourdough about a year ago. I made my first loaf yesturday. She’s been using flour from the store. We’re buying a Mockmill attachment for our kitchenaid mixer. We’re also buying some hard red winter, khorasan, kamut, emmer, and einkorn wheat berries.
We want to learn more about using these, especially in sourdough.
What do we need to know?
I don’t know if we’ll want to use 100% of any one of those in a loaf. Maybe a portion of the hard red, or some other wheat like that, and a portion of any of these.
Hydration, ratios, process, ect. ?
Any info, tips, links would be much appreciated.

Congratulations on your new mill attachment.
Here are a couple of articles that will get you started. The first two describe the different varieties and flour behavior and the second talks about home milling flour and has a comprehensive list of Breadtopia recipes that use only homemilled flour. When you see the different breads made with only kamut or only einkorn, you get a sense of how the flours behave e.g. einkorn doesn’t need much water.

If you want to explore all of our recipes, including ones with a mix of bread flour and home-milled whole grain flours, you can search by wheat type under the Blog tab here:

1 Like

Thank you