Naturally Leavened Focaccia

My test run for this week is recipe was Naturally Leavened Focaccia, this recipe was based on the Poolish Ciabatta in Jeffrey Hamelman’s book ‘Bread’ 2nd and 3rd edition. I used my spreadsheet that I built for calculations of Levain builds. All I have to do is enter the hydration of starter, the hydration required for Levain build and quantity of Levain build required. The poolish in the original Poolish Ciabatta recipe is 100% hydration. The formula is set to use 20% of starter for total amount in Levain build. I entered 100% hydration required, starter hydration 125%, and number of grams. It then will automatically calculate the amount of starter to use,amount of water and amount of flour needed. Once the Levain build was ripe I used it for making the dough. After bulk Fermentation I lightly degassed the dough then placed in pre-oiled pan and used my fingers to put dimples in dough then put extra virgin olive oil on top and then put fresh rosemary on top. Very happy with taste. If I was going to use for sandwiches I would have put in smaller pan to have much higher lift.

1 Like