Mushroom Bread

I’d like to make a bread using dried porcini. Has anyone tried using mushroom rehydrating water as a replacement for water? Any experiences out there with breads featuring mushrooms?

No experience, but it sounds like a great idea and I don’t know of any issue with using the rehydrating water … or some diced mushrooms. Will keep it in my “to try” list.

I have been thinking of trying this Porcini powder in bread, just have to experiment with how much to use.

I would imagine the best way to approach this would be to measure out all the water in the recipe and soak the mushrooms. Once ready add the rest of the ingredients and if the dough is too dry slowly add more water till it feels right.

I made a mushroom loaf recently replacing the water with a mushroom broth I made, and 5g if shiitake powder. Flavor was amazing but for me i plan on doing 10g of powder next time.

2 Likes

Cool – just yesterday I was eating roasted eggplant and thinking, “Could I put this in bread?” There’s very little I haven’t added to bread e.g. mushrooms and eggplant.