Mockmill pizza crust

Hello
New to all this.
My wife and I want to make pizza crust from grain milled in our Mockmill. Our understanding is, it’s important to remove the bran. Does anyone have any good tips on how to do that from Mockmill ground flour?

Good morning @tdd2252! Though I’ve never made pizza dough and am a novice baker I believe all you might need to do is simply sift the bran out of your freshly milled flour. Because you’ll be sifting out some of the bran after milling your flour you may want to mill a bit more than you need for the recipe to compensate for the “loss.” You might also consider asking one of our awesome teachers here on Breadtopia. @Fermentada, our awesome Melissa, comes to mind. (Granted, she always comes to my mind when I need a question answered. LOL).

Bake on!
Leah

Thanks @Leah1 :slightly_smiling_face:

@tdd2252 I’m glad you brought your question here where there’s a world of Mockmillers who may have pizza questions – my reply is a little bit of a repeat with what I wrote directly to you.

Some wheat varieties can yield a more airy and chewy crust, even without removing the bran, but if you want an even poofier crust, here is a thread with strategies for sifting

Also, here is a thread with interesting things you can do with the bran (feed it to your starter, boil it and add it back, use it to line your proofing baskets):

Thanks Melissa
What wheat varieties are you referring to please and thank you

If you’re aiming to make 100% home-milled flour pizza dough, I would try a strong wheat (hard red spring or hard white spring) by itself or paired with a less strong wheat in the second list.

hard red spring wheat
sprouted hard red spring wheat
yecora rojo
turkey red
red fife
hard white spring wheat

spelt
kamut
durum
warthog
emmer

All that strong wheat talk aside, pizza is a flatbread and you can really pick ANY wheat if you’re not prioritizing bubbles in the cornicione (the crust part that you hold when eating) or easy handling.

These wheats are low in gluten:

einkorn
pima club
white sonora
soft white winter wheat

The possibilities are endless and I haven’t tried every blend…yet.

1 Like

Like that idea @Fermentada. a strong flour mixed with a weak flour. Just trying to think what might pair with it well but spelt being very extendable and liking to spread would make a good addition for a flatbread.

Edit: spelt and rye go together very well so I think a country style loaf with a hard red spring wheat (white flour) 85%, spelt (wholegrain) 10% and rye (wholegrain) 5% would be a place I’d start when it comes to experimenting with mix and match.

Hello again
So here’s our progress
We purchased a wood fired pizza oven and dove in. We tried making pizza crusts from hard white wheat, without shifting which worked but was a little “rough” grainy pizza crust
Upon watching a YouTube video of a real Italian pizza chef with his own restaurant, he uses 00 flour, we decided to try shifted flour which worked better and gave a more authentic crust

That makes sense. Most pizza crust is made with refined or sifted flour. I like some flavors of whole grain, so I never go all refined flour. My last pizza was about 15% mockmilled red fife wheat, which was interesting. I had been on a kamut or durum kick for months. Very different flavors.