Mock Mill KA attachment

Is the Kitchenaid attachment worth buying or should I wait and get the MM 100? My use is light as it is only myself I am baking for.

@sebastiandesigns Donna, I actually thought the same thing before deciding to actually purchase a Mockmill 100 instead of getting the KA attachment. There were a few reasons why I decided against getting the KA attachment. My KA is over 40+ years old. I had no idea if the attachment would even fit or be able to work properly. Would the motor on my KA be strong enough? Would using an attachment on my KA burn out my motor? I wouldn’t have my KA then and would have to buy a new one! I wasn’t able to get a suitable answer to that question simply because my KA is rather “ancient.” No one wanted to give me a definitive answer. Ease of use was another consideration I had. Did I really want to drag out my KA and take the time to attach a system to it, then take it all apart, clean it and put it all away just to mill enough grain for a single loaf of bread every time I wanted to bake? Honestly, I didn’t!

I’m thrilled with my Mockmill! It simply sits out on my counter and when I want to bake, it’s right there, ready for use. Easy peasy! I bought my Mockmill back in February 2018. I can honestly tell you it was one of the best investments I ever made. It’s the older model 100 that isn’t as convenient or easy to set up and calibrate for use as the new models are. That’s my only regret. But at the time I purchased mine, the newer ones simply didn’t exist. I have no need for a new one. My faithful Mockmill will serve me well for many years.

A simple answer to your question, in my humble opinion: Buy the Mockmill 100.

Baking blessings,
Leah

My story lies, if not parallel, then at a close angle to @Leah1’s. I had a Mock flour mill attachment for KitchenAid. It worked well, though more slowly than a free-standing mill like the MM 100. It’s finest setting made flour that was not that fine, though, compared with my replacement Salzburger MT 10. In my case, one (maybe minor) factor leading to the upgrade was that our KitchenAid machine lives in the bottom of a cupboard a dozen feet from the kitchen counter – we don’t use it very often. Every time I needed fresh flour I had to bring the whole works out of the cupboard, mount the mill, measure out the grain, and then mill the flour. If your KA gadget lives full time on your counter top then it might be the right thing for you. The price is certainly right. I’ve been advised to mill flour rather coarsely to make bread with, so the less-fine maximum fineness of the attachment mill wasn’t that much of a drawback.

@tstavely Tony, my sentiments exactly! My KA is rarely used (probably why it’s still operational after 40+ years, LOL) and it stays in a bottom cabinet out of the way. It isn’t convenient to my kitchen counter either. Ironically, I’ve been making cookies bars lately so I’ve actually used my KA more in the last few weeks than I have in years. My Mockmill has its home right on my counter next to the outlet I use for it. It’s ready for me to plug into the outlet at a moment’s notice to mill flour.

In fact, you can see a portion of it in this picture behind my most recent bake.

I bake bread about every 10-14 days or so. My Mockmill’s use has earned it a permanent place on the counter. Besides, it’s too heavy for me to consider moving it around :crazy_face:

Blessings,
Leah