Milling your own grain

My problem with most recipes that claim to use old starter is that they use so little of the stuff; most of those recipes – especially waffle recipes – contain only a fraction of the starter, so you still wind up tossing most of the old stuff.

So I decided to go whole hog and use as much as I thought I could get away with. And it seems to have worked.

The recipe I use for Waffles doesn’t use any dry flour, just starter. I’ve been using the recipe about a decade and we love it. Also calls for no milk so no substitute necessary for my dairy-free son!

Hello Puglover, I am interested to try the waffle recipe with just starter. Where can I find it?

@slauzon, is this the recipe you’re looking for?
https://breadtopia.com/erics-sourdough-waffles/

Leah

Yes can you please post your flour free recipe. Would like to try. Thanks

Old-Fashioned Sourdough Waffles

INGREDIENTS

690 g sourdough starter, room temperature

3 tablespoons brown sugar

3/8 cup oil

3 eggs

3/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon (a bit more) baking soda mixed with

1 1/2 tablespoons warm water (add 1 - 2 minutes before cooking)

DESCRIPTION

Make slightly extra starter to account for the amount that sticks in the container.
Feeds 2
Light and crispy
Can be mixed in blender

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, add sourdough starter, sugar, egg, and oil; mix well.

Dilute baking soda in 1 tablespoon of warm water. Add baking soda to batter just before you are ready to cook the pancakes.

Fold gently into the sourdough batter (do not beat). This will cause a gentle foaming and rising action. Let the mixture bubble and foam a minute or two.

Heat up a lightly greased griddle until fairly hot; then pour batter onto the griddle. Cook until golden brown. Serve on hot plates.

I posted it above :grinning:

I like crisp too thanks! I will try it this weekend

Thanks for sharing- can this be used for pancakes?
I use leftover starter for a coffee cake recipe given to me a few decades ago
I’ve also discovered that I can add a Cup or so of starter to a regular recipe for pizza dough or pretzels without other adjustments. I can’t bring myself to throw any away. Lol

Thank you so much Puglover for sharing, can’t wait to try it :grinning:

1 Like

We use it for pancakes or waffles. Great for either.