Milling Dent Corn

This question might be a little off target, but since this is a community of bakers and millers, I’m hopeful someone might be able to offer some guidance. A neighbor who knows I have a grain mill recently gave me a small bag of dent corn thinking I could mill it for corn bread. I’d love to do that and gift them the resulting bread. I have a KoMo mill and am wondering what settings would yield a coarse meal or a fine meal. I hope to avoid a lot of trial and error because she only gave me a small amount. I know this is in the quick bread category, but I’m hoping some Breadtopian with a KoMo and a taste for fresh corn bread could tell me what settings have worked for them. Thanks so much!

I think anything with flour and milling is on target for asking questions on Breadtopia – pasta and cookies too!

This is the same for both KoMo and Mockmills: A fine corn meal would be achieved through double milling. Mill once at a coarse setting and then again fine (stone skip point, where you hear a bit of knocking). For coarse corn meal, find the stone skip point and back off toward coarse by 2 to 3 points, then pour in your corn.

That is exactly what I needed to know! Thank you very, very much! :slightly_smiling_face:

@Fermentada Melissa, I’ve just recently been considering milling my own cornmeal with my Mockmill for homemade cornbread. I’m not considering making tortillas or polenta at this time, just cornbread. Now that I know what settings to use to mill corn for cornbread thanks to your answer on this thread, what corn do you recommend I get? Breadtopia’s dent corn looks like my best choice for simple cornbread.

On a side-note I have a cornbread tale to tell. Last night I was making some chicken chili for dinner and decided cornbread would be just the ticket to have alongside. I popped the pan of cornbread into the oven and even though I set my timer for it, I got totally distracted, ignored the timer (which I’m realizing is no longer loud enough for me to hear easily as my hubby has to keep telling me when the timer’s going off, DUH!) so I forgot it was in the oven until I could smell over-baking cornbread!! Great! I thought I had totally ruined it as it baked for over 11 minutes LONGER than it should have. I pulled it out of the oven thinking it was totally ruined only to find that just the outer edges were a bit toasty/crunchy, not burned at all, just toasted! The cornbread was totally edible. In fact, it tasted just fine; maybe a bit drier than it would have been if I hadn’t overbaked it. Seriously, we really didn’t notice! That’s what made me think more about cornbread. I couldn’t believe how “forgiving” it is if accidentally overbaked. It was still wonderful! Yes, it was baked with a box of commercially made corn meal. Now that I’m actually baking cornbread a little more frequently I’m considering milling my own corn.

Blessings,
Leah

Wow I’m so glad your cornbread wasn’t burnt. Maybe your phone has a good alarm/timer system you could use. My oven is on the quiet side too, so I use my microwave timer. Also, I set fire to some salmon on my grill this week, so I can relate. I went inside for “a couple of minutes” to work at my laptop on the kitchen table and then who knows how much time passed but I saw smoke wafting past my window :fire:. Luckily the skin of the fish protected the rest of it. I do like crispy salmon skin and blackened catfish etc.; but this skin was pure ash-char and I tossed it.

Anyway about corn :slight_smile: I think you will notice a big difference in the flavor of the fresh milled corn in your cornbread. I think the yellow dent is a great choice, and I think all the others would be delicious too. Slightly different colors and protein levels, a smidge more or less sweet; but all more potent in corn aroma and flavor than storebought.

@Fermentada Yes, my phone has a very loud alarm! I will start using it instead. I think my hubby is tired of telling me an alarm is going off every time I cook/bake something. I’m so glad you were able to rescue the fish. I’ve charred salmon skin into what my hubby calls “black flavor bits” numerous times when grilling it. Thankfully, I just do what you do; toss the skin!

I think I’ll get some corn when I place my next order.

Blessings,
Leah

1 Like

Highly recommended, there is no hiding from the “loud” of this thing when it detonates.

Got a few stuck on my refrigerator and on my proofing box. Suggest waiting until Thermoworks has a 20% or 30% off sale.

@Otis Sweet!

I’m laughing and picturing “when it detonates.” :rofl:
Thank you for that wonderful laugh!

Blessings,
Leah

@Fermentada Almost forgot to ask: Can I simply store a bag of dent corn in my freezer like I do my wheat and rye berries?

Blessings,
Leah

I haven’t done it myself, but it seems like it would be no different than wheat.

Melissa, same sort of thought, as I would like to mill up Oats in my Cuisinart Prep 7 food processor [as I have not been able to budget for your mill offered here] I thought to use what I have on hand; others have suggested that this method would work, my reservations are in the ability to create the correct millage… what thoughts could you share for my assistance here? I am grateful for your thoughtfulness in this response.

I’m sorry my only experience with oats is cooking them or Mockmill-ing the groats into flour. (I want to get a flaker someday and expand my repertoire.)

I use this spice/coffee grinder for flax seeds because they’re too oily for the Mockmill, and I imagine the Cuisinart has better results, with more capacity and a sharper blade. I suspect you wouldn’t get a super-fine silky oat flour from the Cuisinart, but it might be okay anyway, depending on your intended use for the flour.

thank you Melissa for this feedback - I will be adding to the Cuisinart the old fashioned rolled oats results in with bread flour 1 to 3 ration; just will get it as fine as possible at this point; an interesting pathway forward…
thanks again
Michael

How do you find the stone skip point? And is it the same process with the Kitchenaid attachment?

From our Mockmill expert: for the KA attachment aim for the sound of the stones lightly knocking. Once the grain is in the hopper, the setting can be dialed down even closer. The stationary stone is spring loaded, so no concern about damage. Just be sure to back off the cap as soon as grain runs out.

Excellent! Thanks very much.