Milling corn

I am curious if anyone with a Mockmill has tried grinding dent corn for coarse stone ground grits.

TIA,
Keith

I have ground all three types of corn with my Mockmill. Not much reason to grind sweet corn and sweet corn mills the least desirable. Dent corn and flint corn process without any problem. Mockmill specifically indicates to not mill popcorn, a type of flint corn. I think it is because of the ratio of hard shell to the small, soft endosperm inside of corn marketed specifically for popping is too much (hard) for the milling stones and may damage them. (Note: lots of flint corns and dent corns will ‘pop’, even barley will ‘pop’, but marketed ‘popcorn’ is a specific, smaller kernel corn.) I primarily mill Floriani red flint corn for polenta. Fwiw, I do not consider the Mockmill suitable for “cracking” corn or oats. I mill wholes oats to make oatmeal but it is not comparable to pin oats or steel cut oats.

I made this with fresh milled corn, yellow dent and bloody butcher. I milled twice. You can make the second milling a few ticks away from finest in order to have a more grits texture.

Melissa and Otis,
Thanks for the input. I am going to need to try milling my own grits for shrimp and grits.
Keith

1 Like

I just made some polenta/grits/mamaliga
using this purple-pink corn. I milled it coarser than I usually do.