Mămăligă (Romanian Corn Porridge)

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

Here is some leftover mămăligă I fried in avocado oil this morning. So tasty.

That is perhaps my favorite corn recipe.

That Romanian stuff is also called ‘polenta’. Supposedly, the dish originates in Italy, not that is matters because corn was, as you pointed out, introduced into Europe**. Middle-America Indians ate a boiled corn ‘pudding’ for centuries before corn made its way into Europe.

The fat/butter/oil in your recipe is optional, I don’t add it, tho it does make the dish creamier. After cooking, while still warm, I spread the cooked mixture on a ¼ sheet pan before it firms up, about ½ inch thick. Then, after it is cooled and firm, use a round cookie cutter to make ‘polenta rounds’. Place a ‘round’ on a plate, top with a fried egg, warm marinara sauce and parma cheese. Garnish with basil.

After it has cooled, you can bread the polenta with flour, egg, crumbs, etc and fry it.

The same dish can be made with wheat, too. Make it the same as you would with corn, just use wheat instead. If made with semolina wheat and cut into rectangles the stuff is called “Roman gnocchi”, or something like that. I had this recipe bookmarked, it adds garlic and milk to semolina based polenta:

** The oldest surviving letter from someone at Jamestown (early 1600’s) back to someone in England talks about a “new grain” in America that makes a fermented beverage (whiskey) better than barley (scotch). That grain is corn and the whiskey the Jamestown settlers were making 400 years ago was bourbon.