Lower carb sourdough?

I love sourdough bread but must adhere to a lower carb lifestyle. I don’t like typical keto breads! Does anyone have experience using sourdough starter with a blend of wheat plus other alternative lower carb flours such as soy, vital wheat gluten, almond flour, etc? I would be grateful for any help or possible recipes to explore. My goal would be to bring down the carb count to perhaps half.

@jbeaver I know that gluten free isn’t the same thing as lower carb, but does this information help at all?
How to make a Gluten Free Sourdough Starter | Breadtopia
Gluten Free Sourdough Bread | Breadtopia

There are more blogs/recipes on Breadtopia accessible through the search box on the site. Admittedly, I don’t know much of anything about gluten free options so I have no idea if they’re any lower carb. I just wanted to try and help.

Blessings,
Leah

1 Like

I think if you use whole wheat flour (high fiber, slows absorption of sugars) and buckwheat flour (has been shown to improve blood sugar levels) AND you did a long fermentation that essentially resulted in the yeast and lactobacillus consuming a lot of the starches/sugars, you would have a really healthy bread that might qualify as low carb and would not be likely to cause a blood sugar spike.

I would be wary of using a lot of vital wheat gluten, 1/2 tsp in a large dough enhances the texture. More and you might get gummy rubber.

Here’s the fiber research:

And the buckwheat research (the white wheat bread, WWB, in this study refers to refined white flour bread, not white whole wheat – I dug a bit to make sure):