Knekkebrød — Norwegian Crisp Bread

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

1 Like

The crackery bread thingys look delicious! :smiley: I’m not big on all of the seeds in crackers or breads, but the pix of those things looks awesome. Not sure about the hemp seeds listed in the ingredients. What are they all about?

Maybe these crisps will bring you over to the seedy side :grin:
Hemp seeds are another source of omega-3s, protein and fiber like chia and flax seeds. Actually looking at the article I linked to, they don’t have much fiber if they’re shelled or “hemp hearts.”

You can get them at Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, and health food stores. (No mind altering components despite being from the hemp plant.)

I included them because I have them in my refrigerator. I think these crisps should be a reflection of your inventory, flavor and texture preferences, and possibly nutrient goals too.

Here’s a pretty good comparison of the three seeds:

:rofl:

1 Like

Look so yummy. Do you know how long will these last after baking? I might make them ahead for a gathering.
Thanks in advance.

hester

As long as they stay dry, I think you could get months out of them. I just ate a two-week-old one that was nice and crispy :slight_smile:

OH that’s perfect I can do it soon for weekend after Thanksgiving. Yummy. Going to print the recipe out now and order the WG Rye. I have some rye flour but I guess I should get the WG, right?

Thanks again.

I first saw Knekkebrod at either Trader Joes or Aldi and instantly fell in love with them. I tracked down some recipes online and have made them several times since. They’re fun, easy, and delicious and as Melissa said, very adaptable. I especially liked the ones with herbs in the dough and coarse salt on top. It will be fun to try a sourdough version. Thanks, Melissa!

@hester You’re welcome. If for whatever reason your knekkebrød soften up over time, you can spread them haphazardly on a baking sheet and re-bake them for 30 minutes or longer at a low temp e.g. 170°F to crisp them up again.

@wendyk320 Adding herbs and topping with salt sounds delicious. And I bet I’d love Aldi’s / Trader Joe’s knekkebrød. I’ll keep an eye out for it. I like their crisps with strawberry and jalapeño… as strange as that combo sounds :slight_smile:

I’m anxious to try these, and have all the ingredients except bran flakes. The only bran flakes I know about are a cereal, and I can’t imagine that’s what is called for in this recipe. Could you shed light on what they are?

You can definitely leave it out; just add that same weight of additional whole grain flour – if you want.

Bran flakes is referring to the bran you might sift out of a whole wheat flour. Or buy as “wheat bran.” You’re right that “bran flake” yields a bunch of cereal information when I google it! (I’ll edit the recipe.)

Thanks for the info! I have some wheat bran, and that makes sense for the recipe.

1 Like

I precisely followed the recipe but the flatbread did not turn crisp enough. I wonder if I needed to bake the mix longer or maybe reduce the hydration. How crisped were yours?

Dave, I actually used Cereal bran flakes. My ‘dough’ is resting now and after I bake I’ll send a pic. My cereal bran flakes are mostly just bran w a tad of sugar, so I just backed off on the honey.

Melissa, if you are reading this, can i just use a sharp bench knife for the 10 minute grid cut and a regular knife later?
Thanks

@Lambert I think you should bake them for longer. This can be done after you’ve already broken them into the rectangles. Just throw them on the baking sheet again (no need to arrange neatly) and bake them at a low temp e.g. 170F for 30-60 minutes – huge range there, I apologize – until they snap when you break them. No bend.

@hester Any cutting tool is fine. Just be careful not to scrape up your baking sheet. I think pressing rather than sawing should do the trick.

my version. Some got a bit darker

here’s a close up

Your crackers look good, not too dark at all. :+1:

ETA: if I was a bird I’d be all over those. :rofl:

They look tasty! Maybe a little darker also because of the bran flakes? I hope you didn’t get burnt flavors, though at least one of my kids prefers that : )
It’s a bit of an oven babysitting project to rotate the trays around, and I got a toasty area anyway, though more from the batter being thinner in that section.

Thanks, They are very tasty. I usually am very sparing with salt, but next time I will add a bit more. Like I wasn’t sure how to count the seeds, rye etc… like I usually do 1.5% of flour weight for salt. next time I’ll do 8 grams I think.
The recipe is a keeper. thanks so much for sharing it.

1 Like