Kernza® Artisan Bread

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

1 Like

When I first discovered Kernza, I purchased a few bags and tried it with a few adaptations of my recipes. My only “disappointment” was the attempt to sprout some Kernza berries - the result was about 50% germination. The following are the recipes that worked for me. I also posted these on the Perennial Pantry website.

Kountry Kernza

Yield: 1 two-pound loaf of bread

Time: 12 to 24 hours, depending on how the dough is proofed

Ingredients:
350 grams water
100 grams Kernza flour
400 grams All Purpose flour
75 grams ripe sourdough starter
9 grams sea salt

Equipment:
Kitchen scale
Proofing basket (optional)
Cloche or Dutch oven (or other suitable baking vessel)
Thermometer

Instructions:

1. Mix together 350 grams of water, 100 grams Kernza and 250 grams AP flour, let stand for 2 hours (the autolyze).
  2. Blend 75 grams of ripe sourdough starter into the previous mixture.
  3. Mix the salt into the remaining AP flour (150 grams) and blend into the dough. Mix until the flour is completely incorporated. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
  4. Do a series of 4 or 5 “stretch & folds” at 30 minute intervals, resting the dough in between.
  5. Cover and let the dough stand at room temperature for an additional 2 to 4 hours. Then refrigerate the dough and bulk ferment for another 12 hours. During the bulk ferment, the dough should about double in volume.*
  6. Remove the dough from the refrigerator, degas the dough and shape the dough. Place the dough into a proofing basket that has been dusted with rice flour. Cover and let stand for about an hour or until the dough has doubled in volume.
  7. Place the cloche in the oven. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
  8. Remove the pre-heated base of the cloche from the oven, place the dough onto the base, cover and return to the oven for 25 minutes.
  9. Remove the cloche cover and bake for an additional 20 minutes.** The bread is done when the internal temperature reaches 200 to 205 degrees F.***
    Additional comments:

I have been baking sourdough bread for several years. Most of the bread that I bake use a blend of flours with a preponderance of whole grain flours. I use some Kamut, an heirloom variety of wheat, in most of my breads. I decided to experiment with the 21st Century variety – Kernza.

To get a sense for how Kernza performs, I decided to begin with a basic sourdough recipe, a variation on the Sourdough Country Loaf recipe in Tartine Bread. This recipe is an adaptation that substitutes Kernza for the whole wheat flour.

*Timing for the bulk ferment is variable, depending on the temperature at which the dough is proofed. Refrigeration retards the process. Proofing time would be shorter if the dough is proofed at warmer than room temperature.

**If a softer crust is desired, increase the covered baking time

***Baking times will vary, depending on oven performance.

As an alternative to leavening the dough with sourdough starter, the home baker could use a poolish. Mix together 100 grams of water, 100 grams of AP flour and ¼ teaspoon active yeast. Let stand for about 12 hours. Then, add ¼ teaspoon active yeast, the remainder of the water and flour and the salt. Continue with the stretch & folds. Complete the bulk fermentation at room temperature and shape the dough after the dough has doubled in volume.

Honey Kernza Loaf

Ingredients:
200 grams water (3/4 cup + 1 T)
180 grams scalded milk (3/4 cup + 1 T)
200 grams Kernza flour (1 3/4 cup)
100 grams whole wheat flour (7/8 cup)
200 grams All Purpose flour (1 3/4 cup)
30 grams honey (2 T)
2 T unsalted butter
75 grams ripe sourdough starter (1/3 cup)
9 grams sea salt (1 t)

Equipment:
Kitchen scale

Instructions:

1. Heat milk to 180 degrees
  2. Melt the butter with the honey and add to the scalded milk.
  3. Add the water to the milk mixture.
  4. After the milk mixture has cooled to lukewarm temperature, stir in the Kernza; whole wheat and 100 grams of AP flour. Let stand for 2 hours.
  5. Blend 75 grams of ripe sourdough starter into the previous mixture.
  6. Mix the salt into the remaining AP flour (100 grams) and blend into the dough. Mix until the flour is completely incorporated. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
  7. Do a series of 4 or 5 “stretch & folds” at 30 minute intervals, resting the dough in between.
  8. Cover and let the dough stand at room temperature for an additional 2 to 4 hours. Then refrigerate the dough and bulk ferment for another 12 hours. During the bulk ferment, the dough should about double in volume.
  9. Remove the dough from the refrigerator, degas the dough and shape the dough. Place the dough into a lightly oiled and dusted loaf pan. Cover and let stand for about an hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.
  10. Tent the loaf pan with a sheet of tinfoil, shaped to the pan. Place in a cold oven.*
  11. Heat the oven to 425 degrees F. Begin timing when the oven has come up to temperature.
  12. Bake for 25 minutes, remove the tinfoil and bake for an additional 25 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the bread is 200 to 205 degrees, F.**

Additional Comments:

This recipe is an adaptation of the “Honey Whole Wheat” recipe that is found on the packaging for Bob’s Red Mill Stoneground Whole Wheat. The recipe was first converted to sourdough and revised again by substituting Kernza for the whole wheat flour.

*The cold start, rather than, beginning in a pre-heated oven is optional. I prefer to bake this recipe in a terra cotta loaf pan for which the manufacturer recommends a cold start to avoid thermal shock.
**Baking time will vary, depending on oven performance.

The recipe could be baked using one package of active yeast instead of the sourdough starter. If so, begin by scalding the milk, mixing in the butter and honey and letting the mixture cool to room temperature. When the milk is cooled to lukewarm, add the yeast and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Then, mix all of the ingredients, knead well and let stand for about 2 hours. When the dough has doubled, continue with shaping the dough.

Heirloom Kernza

Ingredients:
410 grams water (1 ¾ cups)
100 grams Kernza flour (7/8 cup)
150 grams Kamut whole grain flour (1 1/3 cup)
150 grams whole wheat flour (1 1/3 cup)
100 grams spelt flour (7/8 cup)
75 grams ripe sourdough starter (1/3 cup)
9 grams sea salt (1 t)

Equipment:
Kitchen scale
Proofing basket (optional)
Cloche or Dutch oven (or other suitable baking vessel)
Thermometer

Instructions:

1. Mix together 410 grams of water, 100 grams Kernza, 150 grams Kamut, 100 grams spelt and 60 grams whole wheat flours and let stand for 2 hours (the autolyze).
  2. Blend 75 grams of ripe sourdough starter into the previous mixture.
  3. Mix the salt into the remaining whole wheat flour (90 grams) and blend into the dough. Mix until the flour is completely incorporated. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
  4. Do a series of 4 or 5 “stretch & folds” at 30 minute intervals, resting the dough in between.
  5. Cover and let the dough stand at room temperature for an additional 2 to 4 hours. Then refrigerate the dough and bulk ferment for another 12 hours. During the bulk ferment, the dough should about double in volume.*
  6. Remove the dough from the refrigerator, degas the dough and shape the dough. Place the dough into a proofing basket that has been dusted with rice flour. Cover and let stand for about an hour or until the dough has doubled in volume.
  7. Place the cloche in the oven. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
  8. Remove the pre-heated base of the cloche from the oven, place the dough onto the base, cover and return to the oven for 25 minutes.
  9. Remove the cloche cover and bake for an additional 20 minutes.** The bread is done when the internal temperature reaches 200 to 205 degrees F.***
  10. Remove from the oven. Let cool for one hour and savor your handiwork.
    Additional comments:

I have been baking sourdough bread for several years. Most of the bread that I bake use a blend of flours with a preponderance of whole grain flours, including the heirloom varieties, Kamut and spelt. This recipe blends those two varieties with Kernza, a 21st Century variety of flour.

This recipe produced a hearty loaf of with all the nutritional benefits of the whole grain bread. The Kernza contributed to a rich, complex flavor profile.

*Timing for the bulk ferment is variable, depending on the temperature at which the dough is proofed. Refrigeration retards the process. Proofing time would be shorter if the dough is proofed at warmer than room temperature.

Blueberry-Lemon Kernza

Ingredients:
Zest of 2 lemons
400 grams ( 1 ¾ cup) liquid, juice of 2 lemons plus water
150 grams ( 1 1/3 cup) whole wheat flour
150 grams ( 1 1/3 cup) Kamut flour
100 grams (7/8 cup) Kernza
100 grams (7/8) AP flour
75 grams starter
2 T unsalted butter
30 grams honey
9 grams salt
½ cup chopped pecans, toasted
½ cup dried blueberries

Instructions:

1. Chop the pecans, toast in a dry frying pan over medium heat. Set aside.
  2. Zest 2 lemons and set aside. (Meyer lemons preferred)
  3. Juice 2 lemons and add sufficient water to make 400 grams liquid.
  4. Melt the butter. Stir the butter, honey and lemon zest into the liquid.
  5. Stir the whole wheat, Kamut and Kernza flour into the liquid and let rest for 2 hours (autolyse).
  6. Stir the starter into the dough.
  7. Stir the dried blueberries and chopped pecans into the dough.
  8. Blend the salt into the AP flour and mix into the dough until the flour is completely incorporated. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
  9. Do a series of 4 or 5 “stretch & folds” at 30 minute intervals, resting the dough in between.
  10. Cover and let the dough stand at room temperature for an additional 2 to 4 hours. Then refrigerate the dough and bulk ferment for another 12 hours. During the bulk ferment, the dough should about double in volume.*
  11. Remove the dough from the refrigerator, degas the dough and shape the dough. Place the dough into a proofing basket that has been dusted with rice flour. Cover and let stand for about an hour or until the dough has doubled in volume.
  12. Place the baking vessel (clay baker or dutch over) in the oven. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
  13. Remove the pre-heated base of the baking vessel from the oven, place the dough onto the base, cover and return to the oven for 25 minutes. I used a clay baker for this loaf and transferred the dough to the baker on a piece of parchment to avoid blueberry stains on the baker.
  14. Remove the cover and bake for an additional 20 minutes.** The bread is done when the internal temperature reaches 200 to 205 degrees F.***
  15. Remove from the oven. Let cool for one hour and savor your handiwork.

Variation: Cranberry-Orange Kernza
Substitute zest and juice of one orange (Valencia orange preferred), walnuts and cranberries for the lemon, pecans and blueberries.

2 Likes

Amazing, thank you for sharing your recipes! All of them sound delicious. Was your crumb/texture pretty tight on the all whole grain flour bread, like my yecora rojo + kernza combo?

Here is a pic of the Kountry Kernza load

Here is a pic of the Honey Kernza crumb.

Here is the pic of the sprouted Kernza crumb - I made a loaf with the sprouts even though only about half of the berries sprouted. You can see the berries in the crumb.

All three breads look so delicious.

When Breadtopia intro’d Kernza grain I immediately ordered some and it arrived a couple days ago.
I came back to explore the processes/percentages you (or others use). I use a lot of heirloom grain in my breads, mostly spelt and kamut, and very little regular flour, and have been baking with nothing but my own homemade sourdough starter for longer than I can say.
So MT John’s “Heirloom Kernza” recipe spoke to me and I fired up my grinder…

Holy cow the flavor is out of this world. The rise was surprisingly good, although mine was flatter than MT’s - which I am ok with. I also modified the percentages a bit (less hard red grain, more spelt and Kernza. I am a bit of an unpredictable loose cannon sometimes and apparently this was one of those times….)

I am going to play around with the percentages, as well as try your recipe, Melissa- curious what aspect of the flavor is specifically from the Kernza. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas and recipes!

This is my Heirloom Kernza loaf. (We are wolfing this bread)

I think it’s great that you’re diving in to playing with different flour combinations and loving the flavors.

I find the Kernza to come through as herbal, a kind of grassy-nutty. I’ve been chatting with a baker online who is picking up molasses flavor in Kernza. We were speculating that either our taste buds are very different or there is a terroire thing going on – her Kernza is from a different farm.

1 Like

I received 2 bags of this grain and before I waste any, I want to verify just 1/4 tsp of yeast in the pre-ferment and ZERO in the main dough. 1/4 tsp with a LOOOOOOOOOOON ferment time I’m used to but not under an hour to ferment. Is this right???

The preferment made for a bigger yeast population by the time it was added to the dough, but I totally hear you on wanting to get it right with this more spendy grain. I would watch the dough like a hawk :slight_smile: and don’t transition the dough to the next step unless it has expanded by the target amount – and feel free to use more yeast if you want! Especially if your house is cold.

Thanks for the quick response. I’ll keep an eye on the little yeasties to make sure they are happy before moving on to the main dough.

1 Like

Baked the yeast version of the recipe. What a very nice bread. Looks like it would have a heavy bran flavor but does NOT. Looks like it would be dense but it is NOT. A surprising sweetness and finally some actual nuttiness whereas so many claim that flavor, but don’t.

The 886 grams, per the recipe was a little shy for my oval baker so my next loaf will be 1100 grams…

I will tell as many of my baking friends about this grain as it has a real noticeable and enjoyable flavor AND can be a good piece to the regenerative agriculture puzzle. Hopefully enough people will bring about some positive economies of scale and help to lower the cost. This could be a win, win, for bread baking.

All in all, the cost would NOT prevent me from continued usage but may for others. Spread the word!

Thank you for sharing your impressions of the grain/bread, for the helpful and interesting analysis and for helping to spread the word!

Did you end up modifying the preferment or adding more yeast into the final dough?

No! I usually try to follow the recipe the 1st bake then play/mess it up, afterwords. The recipe worked as written.

I follow as much of Regenerative Agriculture as possible so this Kernza grain is a natural fit and tastes wonderful as an added plus.

With bread baking, I feel like there is a fair amount of “I followed the recipe and it didn’t work” so it’s always great to hear when a recipe works for people :slight_smile:

1 Like

Kernza loaf! It’s awesome! Thank you