Kanelbullar Swedish Cinnamon Buns

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

2 Likes

Yay!! I ate these aromatic buns for the first time in the Swedish Institute of Mpls. last week and I’ve been dreaming of a fresh ground flour version. I am delighted that you chose this recipe to convert. Thank you for the variations made too.

You’re welcome! If you get a chance to share which fresh-milled flour you use, I’d love to hear about it.

I LOVED these. I didn’t change anything. I don’t think I did the shaping correctly, but they tasted amazing.

I’m so glad you like the recipe! Your kannebullar look beautiful.

I forgot to mention. I did the yeast variation.I used the Red Fife ground myself. I did leave them over night in the fridge after shaping, then let them come to room temp and rise a bit the next morning (maybe 1 to 1 1/2 hours?) and then baked. They worked out so nice and nothing like warm Kanelbullar in the morning!
I just enjoyed another one heated briefly, and it is now the 3rd day after baking. Still yummy!

It’s good to know the yeast version didn’t overproof in the refrigerator overnight. I may make them like that the next time I have house guests.

I did commercial yeast version with white flour and baked at 375 for 16 minutes, but the dough was raw on the inside. Stuck em back in for 5 more minutes and still not cooked sufficiently. They sure look good, but the bake time seems off.

Could your kanelbullar have been a lot bigger by chance? The recipes that I Google have similar baking time of 15 to 18 minutes. Here is an example, Swedish Cinnamon Buns Recipe (Kanelbullar) - Gimme Some Oven