Kamut, Khorasan, and Durum Wheats Comparison

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

Thank you for doing that evaluation, it was very interesting. I’m been mowing my way through 50lbs of Khorasan berries. The stuff makes excellent hot breakfast cereal, trying Khorasan pasta tomorrow.

From my reading, Khorasan was originally sold only as Kamut (1950’s) and the Kamut name was trademarked only after interest in Khorasan began to grow (I think 1980’s) because at that time the Kamut name had great recognition than Khorasan. My understanding is the folks behind the Kamut name decided it will always be organic Khorasan, they will only license the Kamut name to growers of organic Khorasan. Grain sold with the generic name Khorasan may or may not be organic, but, so far, I have only seen Khorasan available as an organic grain.

Fwiw, Khorasan is a VERY HARD grain, and it is hard on the Mock Mill stones. Khorasan chipped away at the stones in my Mock Mill leaving little tiny pieces of stone in the cereal, like sand. After milling a few more lbs I don’t have the micro particles from the mill stones in the cereal, anymore. I’ve been grinding Khorasan with the stones opened to setting 17 to 20ish, anywhere in that zone to get “groats” to use for hot cereal.

1 cup milled Khorasan/Kamut
½ teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
3 cups water
2 Tbls honey

Simmer about 30 minutes.

This has become my favorite flour to replace Hard White Wheat in most of my bread baking where a 5% to 30% of the flour was WW. Finally something claiming to taste “buttery” that delivers on those claims.

Just made a doz bagels using the ChainBaker’s Yeasted-cold proofing Recipe/Method, substituting the 7.4% WW with fresh milled Kamut and WOW. Made the bagels a little softer than the WW but 150%+++ on the flavor scale and yes, buttery.

@Otis Thank you for sharing your khorasan porridge recipe. It sounds delicious. I love the texture of steel cut oatmeal so I think this is right up my alley. I hope your pasta worked out well.

@CMWhitley Buttery Kamut flour in a bagel sounds delicious. There is such a dearth of adjectives to describe grain flavors. Everything is nutty :face_with_peeking_eye:

The other side of that coin in the coffee world. There are so many outrageous flavor descriptors strewn about when people slurp up a mouthful of “specialty” coffee that coffee professionals frequently apologize for the pretentiousness of flavor strings like “floral and bright, with clean accents of peach, honeydew melon, and Concord grape, and an amazing aromatic profile of fresh rue herb, and jasmine pearl tea.”

Ha! Same with beer brewing, mango, banana, clove, oak, grapefruit, butter, prunes, burnt toast, coffee…

I had the same problem with durum. Thanks for confirming that it’s temporary, as I supposed and hoped.