Jim Lahey's No-Knead Bread

After all these years I’d never made no-knead bread, probably because I grew up observing my grandmothers kneading their dough. I received a bag ot T65 French flour and wanted to test its flavor, without adding other flours or even the flavor of sourdough. I roughly followed Lahey’s recipe. Once the flour, yeast, salt and water were mixed into a shaggy mass, I let it sit in a bucket overnight for roughly 12 hours. I then very roughly “preshaped” it so that I could get it into a banneton and an hour later baked it at 450 for 30" lid on, 15" lid off. I’m not sure I knew what to expect, not having used this flour or this method before, but it turned out reasonably well for doing nothing more than mixing the ingredients and waiting 12 hours. The flavor is creamy and the crumb has a nice “mouth feel.”

2 Likes

Wow Richard, if you hadn’t said that these were no knead I don’t think anyone would have known. The organic way the crusts open up on top is really beautiful. What a nice way to find out what this new flour tastes like and it sounds like its a winner.

Looking at the loaves again, they remind me very much of Ken Forkish loaves!

Benny

The all too forgotten ingredient in a bread recipe - time. Given enough time it’ll make itself. The less time in making the bread the more hands on it’ll need. Lovely results and agree with Benny, they have a Forkish bread look to them. Nice crumb with a delicious looking caramelised crust. Very nice bake Richard.

Thanks Benny and Abe. I leaned sourdough from Forkish’s book, after eating in his bakery for 20 years. When I bake boules, I like to bake them seam side up, like Forkish did.
Richard