Japanese Milk Bread

Thank you King Arthur Baking for sharing the Japanese Milk Bread Recipe, This week I made Japanese Milk bread. For the wash on top before baking I used egg yolk with milk. It was interesting technique on making the tangzhong for this recipe. This recipe would make very soft and delicious buns. Very happy with the result. Similar look as brioche but uses 18% butter and 18% eggs whereas brioche has 50% egg and 50% butter based on baker’s precent. I used fresh yeast instead of the instant yeast specified in recipe.

2 Likes

Love the colour of the crust in contrast with the soft crumb. They look delicious.

1 Like

These milk breads are probably my favourite breads to make Bob. Your’s look lovely and soft. Enjoy.

1 Like

Is it different than Hala?

Challah typically has 14% whole eggs, 7.5 % egg yolk, 10% granulated sugar, and no milk.

The Japanese Milk bread recipe I followed had 18% unsalted butter, 18% whole eggs 50% milk, 16% granulated sugar and 8% milk powder. Some milk with water used to make tangzhong. Challah doesn’t use tangzhong technique.

1 Like