Interesting kneading technique

I found this technique interesting, because I hadn’t seen it elsewhere till I started watching Mexican bakers on youtube making dough for sweet breads. this guy seems particularly adept at it. (His recipe is using yeast with the sourdough starter but plenty of other people use only starter.) I’ve heard the motions described elsewhere as like “washing clothing.”

Anyway if you want to see what I mean, he starts mixing around 11:30 and then kneads from about 12:00 to 16:00:

Holy cow that’s a clear violation of lazy bread baking standards and tactics.

:grinning:

It looks so fun though! And it took him less than 5 minutes–I usually spend nearly that much time just mixing anyway.

It’s funny how lots of sources will tell you to knead gently and avoid tearing the dough. Makes you question everything, doesn’t it? :joy:

Frissage or fraisage! On English-speaking websites, it’s referred to as a French technique for incorporating butter into pie or pastry dough. But like in this video I learned about it from a Latin American baker in the context of brioche dough for developing gluten and incorporating butter.

1 Like

I hear you. Like slapping and folding, it seems harsh on the dough, but both work. Are you making conchas? I’ve never made them and there on my to-bake list.

1 Like

@Fermentada
While the movements may look a little similar, they are different and the purpose of fraisage is the opposite of kneading. It’s a technique used with pastry doughs to quickly incorporate ingredients without developing gluten.

If you are interested in Mexican sweet breads, there is a good book by Irving Quiroz: Panes Mexicanos. It’s in Spanish, but you can find it on Amazon. Quiroz also has some videos on youtube, including one on conchas.

1 Like

@leonardo Gracias por compartir el video de como hacer las conchas. (Hablo español porque mi madre era de Buenos Aires.) I googled fraisage videos – yep, the heel of the hand smearing motion is the similarity.

@bakerman789 Around minute 7:20 this baker also does a similar mode of kneading. She is pointing to different parts of her hands and explaining things I wish I had a translation for :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was going to make some today, or at least put together the dough. I did once a while ago and it went well but they came out too sweet for my personal taste (I’m sure that’s how many people like them but it was too intense for us, especially with the sugary covering ontop to boot).

1 Like

@Fermentada
¿Para cuándo algún pan argentino, si no porteño?

@bakerman789
I also don’t like sweets with too much sugar. I make mine with 17.5% sugar by baker’s percentage. But it makes more sense to say it’s 8% of the total ingredients (including the sugar itself). The sugar in the topping can’t be reduced, but since I make it with butter instead of shortening, the added flavor brings down the perceived sweetness.

1 Like

Mira che :smile:

1 Like

These go on the to-do list.
I knew fainá and fugazza, but not fugazzeta.

Sometimes I’ve watched programs about Argentine baking on Televisión Pública online. They usually give a lot of practical and contextual information.

Have you milled chickpeas? Any special recommendations?

(Typing on Piazzolla’s notes)