Interested in starting to mill flour

I am interested in starting to mill my own flour but I am also trying to be realistic too, I only bake once a week maybe twice , and wondering if it is worth the investment of a milling machine. I know this is a personal decision as to what I want out of it. looking for some feedback. Thank You

If you’re interested in using a large variety of wheats with zero worry about rancidity, I think home milling is fantastic even if you’re only baking once a week. Though buying the just-milled flour from Breadtopia has comparable freshness, you do have to find space to refrigerate the milled flour. Storing things whole, I can have on hand so many types of wheat and corn, as well as oats, buckwheat, beans, rice etc.

I wrote this blog post about some of the neat ways to use fresh-milled flour, and there are definitely people who do more exciting things, like with dried flowers or mushrooms and such.

1 Like

Thank You for the response ! I am one of those people who likes to know what I am consuming , I will be moving forward with a mill

1 Like

@davidk53 David, I think you’ll be thrilled with your mill! I purchased my mill from Breadtopia back in 2018 and have never regretted it nor looked back!

I only bake about once every 10-14 days. It’s just for my husband and myself as we’re empty-nesters. At times I bake more often, just because the mood strikes. I tend to keep bags of my own baked bread sliced and frozen, ready for sandwiches, morning toast or to satisfy that urge to devour a slice of bread.

I have second upright freezer so I am able to keep some bags of whole grains stored in it. I tend to keep a small variety of what I tend to use the most often including Turkey Red (or Red Fife as I do love both), Hard Whole White, Whole Rye, and Kamut. I blend my home milled whole grains with Breadtopia’s bread flour and my sourdough starter, Cyril, to produce truly satisfying bread. There is something about milling my own grain and baking my own bread that I love though find it hard to describe.

Enjoy your new mill and all the adventures it will provide!

Baking blessings,
Leah

2 Likes

Thanks !!! Not Really !!! I definitely know that feeling looking @ and eating something you made from scratch is a pretty amazing feeling I will be ordering my mill today and will starting to research grains as well

New to milling too.is your new heirloom corn safe to mill in komomio mill.instructions say only use dent corn.

Any of our heirloom corn varieties are fine for the motor power of the Komo or Mockmill countertop mills.
It’s best to mill field/dent corn (and beans) at a coarse setting first and then mill again to the fineness you’re looking for.