Intact wheat germ from berries?

Looking for ways to use the shifted out wheat germ from milling decided to try Museli since I have a flaker as well the rolled oats is quick.

Is there a way to mill (I’ve a KoMo Classic) wheat berries that will separate the germ from the bran leaving the germ relatively intact? The recipe calls for toasted wheat germ.

cheers,

Fred

I don’t believe it would be possible to do this with any kind of home mill. As I understand it, professional roller mills that are used to make white flour effectively shave the wheat berry, so it can separate it into its distinct parts, bran, germ, and endosperm, with precision. Milling stones, on the other hand, break the berries and grind them up. Although we can sift out darker, brannier bits, those bits still have germ and endosperm attached to them. When we sift stone milled flour, most of what we catch in the sieve is bran and most of what passes through is endosperm, but it is far from exact. There’s a lot of bran that was ground up small enough to pass thru the sieve in your flour and a lot of endosperm and germ still attached to your bran bits. The germ itself is so small, there would be no way to separate it from either the “flour” or the “bran.” Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Thanks - it was what I thought and found out even on the courses setting of the mill. Hoping for a nice ‘trick’ to avoid having to buy wheat germ separately given the buckets of wheat berries I have already. cheers, Fred

1 Like