In home sourdough Class

I live in PA and was recently told by an anonymous person on FB that I cannot have sourdough classes in my home with the approval of the health department and a license. Has anyone dealt with this? Thank you :slight_smile:

Most states have “Cottage Food” regulations regarding what you can produce in your home. They are for everyone’s safety.
I would imagine that is what was being referred to. I don’t really know if there are requirements for the education part.

Generally bakery items not containing dairy are in the clear. Here’s an explanation of items in your state.

Here’s the actual application.

You should probably contact your state agency to see if you need to apply for a license or not. You can also do an online search and find other people in your state who can talk about their experience. Most of these folks are pretty helpful. The state just wants to make sure no one gets sick. Going thru the state for approval just gives you a legal standing.

Good luck!

Dave

Thank you for this helpful and thorough response Dave! I’ll do some further searching!