How large a loaf can I make?

Hi, I’m hoping to make one very large loaf of sourdough for Thanksgiving, and am wondering how large a loaf I can comfortably make. I’d be using the oval proofing basket from Breadtopia and baking it in a Romertopf. Can I get away with using 1000g flour? Or is it safer to use less (800g? 900g?)? I’m worried about there being enough room for the dough to rise in the proofing basket, or that the outside of the bread will burn before = middle gets cooked. Anything I should keep in mind? Thanks so much for any tips or advice you might have for making a large loaf! (I’d make 2 smaller loaves, but we’re short on fridge space for the overnight fridge rise.)

From the Breadtopia web site and the oval proofing basket, it looks like your loaf may be too large.
“Capacity Specs:
Recipe dough weight: 1.5 – 2.5 lbs or 680 – 1130 grams
Recipe flour volume: 3 – 4.5 cups
Measures 10″ x 7″ inside the rim”

If you have a baking stone or a half sheet pan you would probably have better luck with the larger loaf.

Dave

1 Like

Thanks so much!

I often, maybe even usually bake 1,000g of dough that I have proofed in the oval banneton. No problem at all.

Thanks! Dough is rising now - I made it with ~700g flour plus 500g+ water - wish me luck!

1 Like

I’m sure it will be great, but good luck anyway. Pictures if you have time.

Dave

Thanks - turned out great!

2 Likes

Looks great! Good job.

Dave