Homemade Miso

365 days ago I started out to make homemade miso. You may know that I like miso based on my various miso sourdough breads I’ve posted here. Today I finally tasted it and used some in a dish for dinner. I have to say it was worth seeking out the koji rice, homemade miso is much more flavorful and complex than the store bought stuff I’m used to.

The following is from the justonecookbook.com website and worked really well. I used my instant pot and it made it a breeze.

HOMEMADE MISO

Prep Time 30 mins Cook Time 1 hr 30 mins Soaking Time 18 hrs Total Time 20 hrs

Make Homemade Miso from scratch with just 3 ingredients and a little patience. My simple step-by-step instructions on How to Make Miso will guide you through this process. Once it is made, you can use the amazing fermented paste for many delicious Japanese dishes!

Course: How to

Cuisine: Japanese

Keyword: miso

Servings: 3 kg (6.6 lb)

Author: Nami

INGREDIENTS

INSTRUCTIONS

January/February

1. Gather all the ingredients. Besides this, you will need 2 large bowls (one should be a very big one), 1 strainer, Instant Pot (or pressure cooker or a large pot), a clean cloth, alcohol (shochu or vodka), a potato masher (or a food processor), a 1-gallon glass jar to put miso in, and a bag of 1 kg (2.2 lb) table salt.

2. Gently wash the soybeans thoroughly several times under running water.

3. In a large bowl, add the rinsed soybeans and fill the bowl with filtered water to about 5 inches (10 cm) above the beans. Soak the soybeans for 18 hours.

4. Drain the beans. Look how large the beans are now. The right soybean is before soaking, and left two soybeans are after 18 hours of soaking. After soaking, total soybeans weigh 1435 g.

5. Add the soybeans into the inner pot of Instant Pot. Fill the pot with filtered water to about ½ inch (1.2 cm) above the beans (roughly 8 cup line of the pot).

6. Close the lid and set HIGH pressure for 20 minutes. Make sure the steam release handle points at “sealing” and not “venting”.

7. STOVETOP OPTION: Alternatively, you can cook the beans on the stovetop. Bring to a boil over high heat, skim off the surface scum, lower to a simmer, and cook for about 3-4 hours, uncovered, until the beans are soft. Add water as needed during simmering to keep the soybeans submerged in just enough water.

8. Meanwhile, in a large bowl (You will add mashed soybeans in this bowl, so use your largest bowl/pot/container/dish), combine the rice koji and salt with your hands.

9. Also, put some alcohol (shochu, vodka, soju, sake, etc) on a clean cloth and wipe inside the jar you will put miso in.

10. Once the pressure cooking is finished, release the pressure naturally. It will take about 30 minutes till pressure comes down completely and you can open the lid.

11. Test if the beans are done, by pressing a bean between a pinky and thumb. If it is mashed nicely, it’s ready. Drain the soybeans over a bowl to capture the cooking liquid. NOTE: When you are mashing the beans, you may need some cooking liquid, so save about 1 cup just in case. Ideally, it’s best not to use the cooking liquid at all (for this particular recipe, which is designed to make miso without adding cooking liquid). Water in the miso has a higher risk of potentially causing mold growth in the miso.

12. While the soybeans are still hot, transfer some of the soybeans back in the Instant Pot inner pot and mash them with a potato masher (pestle or bottle, etc). Do this process in batches so it’s easier to mash nicely.

13. If you have a food processor, process some soybeans until they are paste form. Do this process in batches so it’s easier to process.

14. ONLY if the soybeans look really dry, add a small amount of cooking liquid. As I mentioned earlier, it’s best if you don’t add it in this recipe. Scoop out the paste and continue with next batch.

15. Mashed soybeans must be warm/room temperature (NEVER hot) before combining them with the koji because hot soybeans can kill koji mold. Mashing takes time unless you make a small batch, so you don’t need to worry about the soybeans being hot in this recipe.

16. Add the warm (not hot!) mashed soybeans into the bowl with the koji and salt mixture.

17. Knead well to distribute the rice koji and salt with mashed soybeans. Take time to do this process until it’s mixed well.

18. Using your hands, form tennis ball-sized balls with mashed soybeans.

19. Put each ball into the container and mash it with your fist and knuckle to ensure that all air pockets have been eliminated. Do one layer at a time, and make sure to press down tightly. If you have a glass jar, you can see if you miss any pockets by looking from the side of the jar.

20. Repeat this process until all the balls are pressed tightly in the jar. Pat down the surface with flat of your palm or knuckle to smooth out. Make sure you have a space left for the weight on top of the miso. If your jar/container is too small, use another container. Clean the inside surface walls of the container with a shochu-soaked cloth/paper towel to deter mold.

21. Sprinkle ½ Tbsp of sea salt on top of the surface.

22. Place a plastic wrap on top of the surface and make sure to cover nicely. I use my adjustable drop lid (otoshibuta) to hold down the plastic wrap while I work on covering the edges and remove it when I was done.

23. Put heavy objects (or rocks) on top of the miso. I put 1 kg (2.2 lb) of table salt (cheaper than the sea salt) in a plastic bag and put it on top.

To Store

1. Write down the date on a masking tape and put it on a jar. Place the miso in a dark and cool place for at least 3 months (I put in a storage underneath the stairs). You can also use a dark pillow case and try to find a darker spot in the house.
  2. After 3 Months (April/May)
  3. Stir the miso from the bottom up to avoid mold forming. When checking the miso, do so quickly to avoid exposure to air. If you see any mold on the surface, carefully scrape it off. Clean the inside surface walls of the container with a shochu-soaked cloth to deter mold. Smooth the surface, place a new plastic wrap on top, and put the weight back on top. Place the container back to a dark and cool place for another 3 months.After 3 More Months (July/August)
  4. During summer months, the fermentation will be faster but the chances of getting mold are higher. Stir the miso from the bottom up every 2-3 weeks and check your jar regularly and remove any mold appearing on the surface. Even if a layer of mold covers the entire surface, the miso below should be fine. Just scrape off the surface to a sufficient depth where only mold-free miso can be seen. Clean the inside surface walls of the container with a shochu-soaked cloth to deter mold. Smooth the surface, place a new plastic wrap on top, and put the weight back on top. Place the container back to a dark and cool place.When Miso is Done (September)…
  5. Remove the weights once the miso is done and store it in the refrigerator to prevent from over-fermenting. You can divide the miso into smaller containers so they will fit in your refrigerator. Now you can enjoy your own miso paste made with patience, love, and perseverance.

The miso 1 year ago

The miso today.

Sticky miso roasted chicken and sesame butternut squash I made for dinner to test drive my miso. Yumm.

1 Like

Patience and dedication pays off. Waiting a year and finally getting to eat it must make it taste extra special. Equally impressed with your cooking skills as it looks delicious. Bon Appetit, Benny.

1 Like

Thank you Abe, fortunately it was easy to be patient with the miso. I was worried about introducing unwanted mold into the container so I wasn’t tempted to open and taste it. Also with it needing to stay cool and dark it was on the floor of my closet so I wasn’t looking at it constantly.

I have a miso dessert planned for the weekend and will of course use my miso for that.

Well done, Benny. All good things are worth waiting for. Your savory dishes are as beautiful and artistic as your breads and pies.
Richard

1 Like

Thank you Richard, you are always so kind with your comments, it is much appreciated. The miso was worth the wait and I’m looking forward to using it in various bakes and foods in the future. The process was simple enough to do so I’ll do it again if I can time it right so I start a new batch when I have a year’s supply of the first batch left.
Benny

Thank you for sharing such a great miso-paste recipe!

1 Like

I hope you try your hand at making miso Benji, it is worth the small effort. I’ve now made three batches.
Benny

Almost 6 months before you posted your miso making article, I had started my first batch if miso. I did not think to check Nami’s website for a recipe, and her Just One Cookbook website is my go-to for Japanese cooking tips and recipes. I went with a very brief write up from a local food fermentation and preservation store. The recipe I used was basically, mix everything together, put it in a fermentation crock, cover it, and walk away for 6 months. Then, at that time, taste it to see if it is to your liking. I actually forgot about it and it was a little over 1 year just sitting on the floor under the dining nook table.

I got the inspiration for making miso from you when you went through your miso bread phase a couple years ago. So, a hugely big THANK YOU, Bennie, for inspiring me to make miso. The quality of home made miso is so much better than store bought miso in a tub. Hugely big gigantic difference! Actually, after making my own miso it would be hard to go back to store bought miso. Next, I will try Nami’s recipe, the one you used, and I want to try using mung beans.

Bennie, are you aware that soy beans is just one of the beans used to miso? Second most popular is chickpea (garbanzo bean) miso. You can actually use any kind of beans to make miso. I used the tiny soy beans, the same soy beans I use to make natto.

Here are some formulas for different types of miso with fermentation duration, but not instructions (you already know how to make it): https://www.preservedgoods.com/post/miso-recipe-formulas

Here is a recipe for chickpea miso: https://www.preservedgoods.com/post/chickpea-miso

I haven’t try it but I am pretty sure we can make miso the same way we make bread starter. Take some of the last batch of miso and mix it with new beans and salt, and let the fun begin. I don’t think we need to buy koji every time we make a new batch of miso. But, if you really want to go all-in, hardcore miso, make your own koji.

Otis I’m so happy that you’re also making miso, it is really a revelation how much better it is than store bought.
I recently read a few books, Noma Guide to Fermentation and Koji Alchemy. If you’re interested in learning more about making your own koji rice, different types of things to ferment with koji rice (I’ve made shoyu koji, both sweet and sour amazake, and some of the science of koji they are both excellent books to read. I have The Art of Fermentation on hold at the library at the moment and have heard that book is great as well.

So yes, I’m aware that you can make miso from almost anything that has a good amount of protein and carbohydrate. Yellow peas, corn etc. When I ran out of miso months ago, poor planning, I bought some mugi miso which is made using koji barley rather than koji rice. It was actually good for store bought miso and did have a slightly different flavour. I was expecting it to be more different than it was though.

I’ve now made three batches of miso, each were made using the same recipe and with soy beans. I may try using other beans/foods that are known to work well. I think I will continue to use koji rice to make my miso, I’m interested to hear if you do try making it without the koji rice. I will try on a fourth batch to add some of my homemade miso to the batch to speed things up though.

I always buy miso paste in 350ml jars, which lasts me two months. It only takes one tablespoon of miso paste for one miso soup, so I think that’s a good amount. But your recipe will allow me to make a longer-term supply that I want to close in containers. I’d also share this recipe with friends if you don’t mind. I’ve been trying for a long time to switch to completely home-cooked food that includes ingredients made at home. Of course, I haven’t bought pre-made hard or silken tofu in a long time. Since I bought tofu mould, I always make it at home. From 500g of soybeans, I get 1kg of tofu from the recipe on YouTube. Your miso recipe brings me closer to perfect!

1 Like

The recipe I posted is from justonecookbook.com so feel free to share it.

I’m still making miso. It seems that we go through about 1 batch every six months or so. I started a fourth batch today and have almost finished the second while the third batch which I started May 1/22 is coming along nicely.

#3 on the left and #4 on the right. You can see the Maillard reaction that happens over time as the Aspergillus Oryzae ferments the soybeans and rice.