Home Milled Cornbread

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

Mushito corn? That translates as “corn with insects”. :slight_smile:

I’ll give this recipe a go, probably tonight. Is the mushito corn a flint corn? Can you expand some on the Mockmilling of the corn? Pix?

What language are you translating mushito into? Not Spanish I don’t think. The corn is from Mexico. Mushito doesn’t translate that way in Spain-Spanish or Argentinian-Spanish – the two countries my Spanish comes from :slight_smile:

Here’s a video of coarse- followed by fine-milling in a Mockmill. This corn has been nixtamalized, which is why I specify that I milled it after an oven-drying stage. The same milling approach applies to unnixtamalized corn that would already be dry and could be milled directly from the bag.

Here’s the full description of the corn. I don’t know if it’s a flint or a dent, just that it’s a landrace.

https://breadtopia.com/store/heirloom-yellow-mushito-corn/

Japanese. Too much residual vocabulary I’ve yet to forget. If you speak Spanish, supposedly, it would be very easy for you to learn Japanese, and viceversa. Lots of Japanese are Hispanophiles because the language is easy for them to learn, and they love flamino dancing.

Thanks for the video. It looks like the first pass was set on #15. It also looked like you had a pile of white ‘fluff’ after the first pass, and it looks much smaller than the pieces of corn. If it was fluff, couldn’t it be sifted out before the second pass? I just bought a set of shifters, I’ll give it a shot and post back how it went.

Trying to find more info on this variety of corn. Its from Michoacan. Could Mushito be a derivative of Michoacan?

@Otis You could sift. I like the color and fiber of the pericarp (corn skin/bran) so I just re-mill. The setting numbers are a little arbitrary because my “zero” has migrated left. I know my machine’s real zero so I don’t bother re-positioning things. I should for the sake of videos though.

@Abe I thought the same thing about Michoacán and mushito.

The video for the corn milling says - oven dried - does that mean you need to do something in the oven with the corn before you mill it? Is there anything else you need to do when it arrives before you mill it?
Thank you

There’s no need to do anything to the corn before milling it. I’ll add a clarification to my response above. The video isn’t the perfect match for this recipe because it shows double milling of nixtamalized corn (for tortillas), but the milling technique is the same, and that’s also how I mill beans.

You can also make tortillas with fresh-milled un-nixtamalized corn flour but you then also need a decent amount of a binding flour like all purpose flour in the dough.
Here’s a little more about nixtamalizing if you’re curious: Nixtamalizing and Grinding / Milling Corn

Besides increasing the bioavailability of nutrients, nixtamalization of dried corn creates more depth of flavor. I’ve never tried drying the nixtamlized corn, then grinding for fear of gumming up my Mockmill. Instead, I use a food processor to “grind” the wet nixtamlized corn to the texture of cornmeal, then drive off the extra water in a 200 degree oven for 15-30 min. To enhance the corn flavor, completely eliminate the wheat flour and substitute milled (unnixtamalized) corn flour. This combination of corn flour and nixtamalized cornmeal provides nice textural contrast and a blast of corn flavor. Of course, here in the south we use buttermilk to provide a layer of tang.

Keep those recipes coming! Love your posts, Melissa.

1 Like

Thank you for posting your process. I have an expensive Wolfgang mill and I had to stop putting soft grains through it like oats as it would get gummed up, even when running rice through it afterwards. Same problem with nix corn. Your process will work perfectly. In fact, you’ve given me another idea. I might run the nix corn through my Nutramilk machine - that will give me an ultrafine grind.

I made a variation on the cornbread recipe above that is more moist and corn-filled. It was so delicious. Here are the ingredients with the changed/added ones in bold:

150g home milled heirloom yellow mushito corn (scant 1 1/3 cup flour)
130g home milled pima club wheat berries (1 cup flour)
115g sugar
15g baking powder (3 tsp)
5g salt (1 tsp)
240g milk (1 cup)
70g light oil or melted butter (1/3 cup)
2 eggs
200g fresh corn, lightly smashed or immersion blended (I used defrosted frozen corn)

Thanks for the recipe update.

1 Like

I assume we’re talking whole, raw oats? It sounds like you just have a batch of oats with high moisture content. There’s nothing about soft grains that should be problematic, it’s just moisture content that you need to watch out for. If you put these oats in a low oven for a little while they ought to mill with no problem.

That might be an option for some people, not for me though. I am a minimalist in nature…I don’t go through a lot of steps with anything I do. Mainly because I am a single woman farmer. It’s gotta be easy…but also I feel drying something out is just another step toward processed food in general. My grains come straight from the grower so I enjoy the notion that with as few steps as possible, it is coming from farm to table.
It’s really working out a lot better now in that I just flake the oat groats. Then I but them in the Nutribullet for a few seconds which renders them into a soft flour which is perfect for oatmeal. Same with purple barley. This way I am also grinding as I use it which keeps it in optimal nutrition.
For the corn though, I just dehydrate it after nixing it. Then use the Nutramilk to break it down into a paste.
I don’t want to end up ruining the Wolfgang for something it really isn’t good at. Thanks for your comment, always nice to hear from others regarding problems and solutions.