Heritage wheat favorites for sourdough?

Mock mills are back in stock so I am exploring which heritage wheat berries to start with for my sourdough baking. I am a newbie pandemic baker, so far limited to boules and sandwich bread, pizza, and focaccia. I’d love to hear about grain favorites including sprouted vs regular. Thanks!

Well if you haven’t ventured away from bread flour and modern wheat yet how about spelt?

1 Like

@judybarnes44 Hi Judy! I love adding some Turkey Red and/or Red Fife. Those taste great. I’ll add a portion of one or the other in any given loaf. I’ve even added a bit of each to a loaf. I’ve got a Mockmill 100 so there is a joy of being able to mill some berries and add them to the dough.

I also enjoy using Kamut, but I don’t mix it in with the Turkey Red or Red Fife. That’s just my personal taste preference.

Enjoy your mill! The flavor possibilities are limitless!

Baking blessings,
Leah

1 Like

Overall, I prefer the flavor of red wheat to white wheat. My absolute favorite to date is the Yecora Rojo. Once you start, you’ll find yourself wanting to play around with different grains. I also use Kamut - sometimes for muffins but definitely for pasta.

2 Likes