Help With New Starter

Hi! I’m very new to sourdough, and about 5 days ago I began my first starter. My starter has so far done nothing besides very few bubbles. I’ve read a lot about false rises, but my sourdough hasn’t done that either. I’ve been feeding a 1-1-1 ratio every 24 hours with King Arthur AP Flour. My house is on average 70-72°F. Should I just keep feeding it and see how it goes? Or should I change anything I’m doing? Thank you!

Here is a good thread to read through to give you a sense of next steps. The TLDR is stir and don’t feed again until you see activity, try feeding a ratio like 2:1:1 until you see more going on, and if you’re at a crossroads on doing A vs. B as the next step, divide the starter into two jars and do both. Then keep going with the jar that performs better and some extra knowledge.

1 Like

Thank you! I will try just not feeding until I see activity. How many days should I wait until I should feed no matter what if nothing happens?

Make sure it isn’t too thin (I’ll link to a video in a sec).
Stir every 12 hours.
If it bubbles up a bit and then stalls or starts to deflate, you can feed it.
If there is no bubbling and more than 3 days have passed and it smells a lot like acetone/nail polish remover, I’d feed it.
It might help to feed it pineapple juice instead of water.

1 Like

I usually keep a neat jar. This was what remained after mixing most into a dough.

1 Like