Hand crank sifter for high extraction flour

I’m wondering if any of my baking friends have a hand crank sifter you’d recommend for making high extraction flour? I have a 40 mesh round sifter, but I’ve found that it takes a long time to sift by hand this way. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

@kbradley820 Are you looking for something like this?
Amazon.com: Bellemain Stainless Steel 3 Cup Flour Sifter: Kitchen & Dining
I’m also wondering if after using a handcrank sifter you could then run the sifted flour through your 40 mesh round sifter to remove additional bran that may have been missed with the first sifting. The 50 mesh round sifter is a much finer screen. It was probably designed to help produce higher extraction flour than the 40 mesh screen.

Though I’ve never tried this you might consider three passes of your flour in the following order:

1. handcrank sifter
  2. 40 mesh sifter
  3. 50 mesh sifter

That process might give you a result as close to high extraction as you can get at home. This is strictly my opinion and suggestion. I’ve never tried it.

Baking blessings,
Leah

Hi Leah,

That’s a great idea. I’ll try the hand crank first and then run it through the mesh sifter. The first pass will likely cut down on the time to sift through the mesh sifter. Many thanks!

Karen

1 Like