Getting a mill what berries to start with

I’m only been baking for a month or so. I’ve made sourdough,rye bread, bagels, pretzels, ciabatta, baguettes and pizza. I’ve been using bobs red mill flours and Italian 00 flour, my friends and family love what I’ve been baking and everyone tells me it’s better that what’s at local bakeries. I am CIA alumni but in school I hated baking and never did any during my career. Now I’m retired and decided to experiment with baking. I still have a ways to go towards perfection but I’m happy with my progress. I was wondering what wheat berries should I buy with my mill (Mockmill 200) that I’m planning to purchase and get started. I was thinking of starting with rye, hard red spring, hard white, organic heirloom red fife, heirloom rough de Bordeaux. Just 5# of each to see what I like and what’s different about them. Are there any other berries I should consider or are my choices over kill and should I just keep it simple. I’m a very capable chef and I know how to follow recipes and I’m good at getting results as I’m able to see what’s developing and make corrections as needed. Baking is new to me however and I’m quickly learning what to do. One hobby of mine is when I find something I like at a restaurant I make what I consider is an improved version this was related to my previous business where I developed menus and recipes for my clients.
Here is a photo of a sourdough rye I just made.

1 Like

Congrats on diving into baking. That loaf looks beautiful. I’d add a bag of durum or Kamut to your list – kinda unique nutty golden wheats that are great for pasta or bread.

@Brian10956 Morning, Brian! That’s a beautiful looking rye bread! I may have to bake a rye bread soon.

You’ve got a great list of whole berries there! I do have to agree with @Fermentada Melissa. Adding a bag of Kamut is a wonderful choice. I love adding a touch of Kamut to my breads. There’s just something about the golden, and to me an almost buttery flavor that Kamut adds to my basic sourdough breads.

My “stash” of whole grains currently consists of Rye, Turkey Red, Hard White and Kamut. I also always keep and use the High Protein Bread Flour. My husband isn’t medically supposed to eat a lot of whole grains so I do compromise by only adding about 25% whole grain to our daily breads. Sometimes I’ll bake a 100% white sourdough just for him. My rye breads are always 50% whole rye and 50% bread flour though. That way my hubby can enjoy an occasional slice of rye and I still get the rye flavor I expect. I grew up eating rye bread so my rye bread has to taste like rye! :slightly_smiling_face: I love whole grain so sometimes I’ll bake a whole grain loaf just for me! I flip-flop between ordering Turkey Red and Red Fife. I love them both. I’m seriously considering ordering a bag of Rouge de Bordeaux because I’m really intrigued by it.

BTW, I have the older Mockmill100. I purchased it back in 2018. I love it! I will admit that setting it up and getting it calibrated was difficult for me but the newer Mockmills didn’t exist at the time I purchased mine. If I were purchasing one now I would most certainly buy the newer version which is much more user-friendly. My current Mockmill works perfectly for me. They’re such well built, sturdy and reliable mills that I know mine will last me “forever”.

Baking Blessings,
Leah