Flour Inquiry

I need a clarification on the definition of the following terms: :thinking:

• bolted flour
  • high extraction flour

with examples please.

@altafkw Hi! I pulled these descriptions directly from the Breadtopia online store on this website. I hope it helps.

Bolted All Purpose Flour – 3, 10 or 50 lb bags

About bolted flour: Bolted (or high-extraction) flour is whole grain flour with some percentage of the bran sifted out, which makes it a nice compromise between hearty 100% whole grain and all purpose white flour. It’s ideal for when you want a lighter loaf or dough yet wish to retain the nutritional value found in the germ of the wheat berry. This flour is an approximately 85% high extraction flour.

Bolted Red Fife Wheat Flour – 3, 10 & 50 lb bags

About bolted flour: Bolted (or high-extraction) flour is whole grain flour with some percentage of the bran sifted out, which makes it a nice compromise between hearty 100% whole grain and all purpose white flour. It’s ideal for when you want a lighter loaf or dough yet wish to retain the high nutrition found in the germ of the wheat berry.

From what I can gather, it seems the terms “bolted” and “high extraction” basically mean the same thing. Breadtopia’s online store has many of it’s flours available as bolted (or high extraction).

I hope this information is helpful.
Blessings,
Leah

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying.
Yes it seems both terms mean the same!

I saw recipes ask for 70-75% high extraction flour and i never seen companies flour companies mention the % on bags!..
i got confused when i saw video from a baker milling and sifting the flour to get the exact percentage.

@altafkw Very glad to have been able to help, Altaf. I wish you all the best in your baking adventures.
Blessings,
Leah

1 Like