Flaxseed Meal Sourdough Bread

I’m also guessing over-proofing. Ambient temp and starter strength can have a huge impact on timing. I’d aim for less expansion in the basket next time to leave some oomph in the dough for oven spring.

I lowered the final proofing to 1 hour, and it came out perfect! Love this bread. Thanks for the recipe. I had flax meal to use up, but I liked it so much that I went out bought more.

1 Like

Hello, I am wondering if you have tried to increase the flaxseed flour vs the normal wheat flour to decrease the number of carbohidrates? In the current mix you have approx. 20% flaxseed (low carb) with 80% wheat (high carb).
Did you experiment with 25% flaxseed, or more? 30%, 40%?

I am planning to try your recipe with wholegrain spelt flour. Do you think it will work?
Thank you very much for sharing!

I would push it 10% at a time. Eventually you’ll get to a point where the lack of gluten in the dough impacts the bread’s consistency too much for your preference. Also the lack of starch in flaxmeal will eventually result in little food for the sourdough microbes, meaning minimal fermentation bubbles, air in the bread.

My off the cuff guess is that for me, this cutoff would happen at about 60:40 flax:bread flour or 50:50 flax:spelt. But I’m a fan of 100% rye and buckwheat breads, which are pretty dense, and your preferences may be different.

Spelt whole grain flour has more fiber than bread flour so that is helpful from the standpoint of blood sugar if that’s your goal with reducing the carbs. Spelt will also not have as strong gluten as bread flour so you can expect a denser bread with it.
Spelt is also notoriously stretchy but not elastic (snap-back-y).

Go slow with adding water as big changes in flours make a difference in absorbency of the dough.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply, I will try that!!