First two loaves… looking for feedback!

Baked my first two loaves last weekend and this weekend with a month-old starter. Pretty sure my first loaf was under proofed after a 9 hour bulk ferment and 12 hours in the fridge.

With my second try yesterday, I was going for a longer bulk. However it was considerably warmer in my apartment yesterday (about 78 degrees) and the dough more than doubled in size after about 8 hours. It was quite sticky when shaping. I left it in the fridge for 12 hours again but I’m not sure if it’s over proofed now (or underproofed?)

Looking for some feedback.

This is my first loaf:

And my loaf from today:

Can anyone let me know what you think? :thinking: thank you all!

1 Like

Heading in the right direction.
First loaf was under fermented.
Second loaf is a big improvement.
Whatever you’re doing keep it up.

Thank you. Sorry to ask a follow-up but am I right in assessing the second loaf might be slightly overproofed? Or still under? It’s so hard to tell as a beginner.

Also, I have to thank you because SO many of your responses on older threads helped me to troubleshoot as I was getting my starter up and running!

It’s hard to know if the second one is over-proofed or simply shaped loosely, a lower hydration dough, made with a lower gluten flour. Those things also impact loaf height and crumb airiness.

1 Like

My pleasure. I’m glad to know people are reading them and finding them beneficial.
Ditto to what @Fermentada replied. You’ve got nice caramelisation on the crust. The crust is also thin. Crumb is even. It looks good to me. And if you like the taste that is the most important thing. I’d say that an excellent second bake and you are getting the feel for it very quickly. If it’s a tad over or a tad under proofed there’s nothing that has gone very wrong to say either way. Enjoy!