Experiment: Scoring Dough Once versus Twice

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

Interesting experiment. But for me adding another step to baking bread is undesirable. Especially, one requiring hands in a hot oven. Wouldn’t you get a flatter loaf by not scoring for the ear and cutting a straight line down the middle or several horizontal cuts?

I hear you about adding extra steps, particularly ones that have burn risks.
A baking vessel with a flat base is significantly safer for re-scoring but you still have to decide if the extra effort (and a little bit of loss of heat from your oven) are worth the difference in outcome.

For me it’s going to be when I take the time to do a really decorative score that I don’t want blowouts on – I will re-score the main cut line.

Scoring impacts loaf shape for sure but I haven’t done any comprehensive tests on it. I think with a batard, a 4-5 diagonal slashes make the most tubular, upright shape.

My hunch is that a deep cut down the middle isn’t going to cause a lot more splay than a deep cut down the side. Hmmm, though the angle of the cut down the middle IS deeper into the structure of the dough so that would impact the integrity of the dough a bit more…but I’ve certainly done a side cut and seen it ooze open 3/4" inch just while I’m getting it into the baking vessel :thinking:

Agreed. This categorically violates core lazy bread baking principles.

Interesting observation and one I have noticed my self. I make the same rustic bread every week, same components and same hydration. When I score deeply to get an ear the bread tends to flatten out (like maybe doing twice?) Did something different this week and the bread did not flatten out. Lots of little cuts and blew up into a ball

2 Likes

It’s a lovely ball!

My flaxmeal bread had a nice round shape and no big cuts. I think the flax inhibited the spring…also luck lol

This sourdough is a multi-grain and multi-seed bread. Again the scoring was not the typical deep end to end cut. Typical for my bakes is 50% Organic Bread flour balance a mixture of other whole grains including rye. Contained toasted sesame, sunflower and poppy seeds, about 80g or so. Also used 1 tablespoon of soaked chia seeds.