Expected yield after sifting milled wheat berries?

I just got a Mockmill 100 and the Breadtopia 40 and 50 mesh sifters. My question is this - How much of the milled grain should I expect to be left behind in the sifter? A quick trial this morning of some just-milled Yecora Rojo berries in the 40-mesh sifter gave me about 50% of the weight of the original berries in the bowl, leaving the other 50% in the sifter. That seems like a lot of bran/germ to be left behind, but I don’t really know - and it’s possible also that I am not grinding fine enough (since I’m new to home milling and still need to dial that in also).

Thanks!

You need to dial in the Mockmill, when I use it and the 40 mesh afterwards it winds up being around 13 to 15% left. There are numerous videos including Mockmill’s that can show you how. Basically keep closing it up until you here the stones just barely touch then unscrew the handle and adjust the setting to 1 or so.

1 Like

Thanks, yeah; I hadn’t done it properly before.

I just ran an experiment, with 30 g of wheat berries. I milled right at the point where the stones were knocking each other, and then sifted with the 40# sifter. The 40# barely got anything - about 2 grams (under 7%). Ran that that through the 50# sifter and knocked it down to around 20 grams (about a third)