Einkorn whole wheat issue

Just made first dough with einkorn whole wheat. Used same formula as I have with ruby lee, yecoro rojo, & sonora, 85% water. This dough is super wet and so sticky. Is einkorn that different. I’m thinking I need to reduce water to 70-75%. It also proofed 3 hrs faster. Any help greatly appreciated.

A 100% einkorn dough should be lower hydration and preferably not handled much as the more it’s kneaded the stickier it gets.

For 100% wholegrain einkorn go for 70% hydration, 10% starter, 2% salt and treat as a no knead bread. Mix the starter into the water until fully distributed. Mix the salt into the flour and make a well. Now pour the water into the well then mix till fully incorporated. Cover and leave to ferment overnight. When the dough is fully risen then portion it out into a prepared loaf pan and final proof till ready. Bake, but make sure it’s fully done as it may need longer.

I’ve just done similar to the above-mentioned but with 1% starter as I want to go onto the final proof a bit later. Starter amount is not fixed as long as you’re going for a long ferment no knead approach at 70% hydration.

Hi Abe - I plan on giving your einkorn recipe a try. I have a couple of questions. When you say “Cover and leave to ferment overnight”, what temperature has worked for you? And is “Fully risen” doubled in size or maybe showing little holes like rye? And what are the signs of readiness in the final proof? So I guess signs to look for are my main concern. I think I’ve heard that einkorn can be like rye so the signs might be different from other wheat flours. Thanks!

Also, do you use steam?

Hi @Arlo48

Here is one I’ve just done…

• Wholegrain Einkorn Flour 620g
  • Water 434g
  • Salt 12g
  • Einkorn Starter @ 100% hydration 6g (ish)
  1. Mix the salt into the flour; make a well.
  2. Add the starter then water and combine to form a no knead dough.
  3. Bulk ferment for 12-14 hours until well risen, about tripled, with a very spongy texture.
  4. Portion out into prepared loaf pan and final proof till ready; about 1.5-2 hours.
  5. Bake.

A delicious loaf which you can taste the high mineral content. Slight tang but more of a sweet smoked flavour. Very interesting! Will suit a deli sandwich.

Yes, treat einkorn a lot like rye. Mix a no knead 70% hydration dough and leave at room temperature till tripled. Einkorn needs time to fully absorb the water. Once fully risen it’ll appear very sponge like. Portion out into prepared loaf pan and final proof till about 80-90% risen. Then bake. I used a Pullman which does the steaming but in a normal pan steam for 25 minutes, then without steam for 10 minutes till the crust forms on top, then carefully remove and return to the oven for a nice all over crust and it taps hollow.

The only improvement I’d make to this bread is actually adding a little less salt. Rye breads often make use of less salt than wheat breads but this wheat can also do with less.

Your loaf looks great. That’s what I will strive for. Thanks for the detailed instructions. I make 100% ryes often, so I should be able to do this!

Have you ever attempted a free standing boule or batard with the Einkorn? I have with mixed results, although I ask myself why mess with perfection after seeing this crumb.

My first Einkorn loaf I made a Boule. I used 80% Einkorn, 20% bread flour. It worked okay. Don’t expect normal spring and you’ll be be okay. Abe’s loaf looks real good. I’m going to try his way next time

I am also but going to try an egg addition to see if it will provide more structure for a free standing loaf. I in the past have not been able to do a free standing, heck I couldn’t even make a pizza dough that would hold together good enough to get to the stone with Einkorn.

I love the challenge!!! :innocent:

Something about a nice looking boule sitting on the table for guests to devour.

Thank you @DennisM. I find 70% hydration to be the sweet spot for a wholegrain einkorn but it’ll act more like rye. Going any lower for a freestanding loaf tends to end up closer to a brick. It also needs a long time for the flour to absorb the water and produce a nice structure with crumb. For the best kind of loaf in my experience it should be fermented until the texture changes to a sponge. The only thing I would try to do differently next time is less salt. Being high in minerals it doesn’t need as much. So again, more akin to rye. This bread was quite strong at first but improved over a couple of days. It’s nice when sliced into thin pieces and toasted.

I look forward to seeing your results @BsBread. Drop the salt percentage is the only thing I’d advise. This bread improves, just like rye, over a day or two. Best enjoyed sliced thin and toasted. Treat it just like rye.