Einkorn Sourdough Hearth Bread

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

1 Like

Thank you Melissa for your many experiments and detailed step by step directions. I have learned so much from you! This looks delicious. Did you manage to eat all three loaves? Sure wish I was your neighbor.

Thank you! I’m glad you’re enjoying my experiments. I have a happy neighbor and a packed freezer at the moment because I am also working on a spelt/rye-scald bread too :bread: :bread: :bread: :bread: :bread: :bread: and my wheat berry shelves need restocking lol

Can you post a picture of this bread made in a bread pan.

I’ll try to do that as soon as I have more einkorn. In the meantime, here is an einkorn pan bread recipe (lean and enriched variations).

Can all purpose Einkorn flour be used in this recipe?

Yes, AP (or sifted) einkorn can be used in place of whole grain, but you’ll need to reduce the water in the recipe, probably by 20-30 grams.

Great, thanks for clarifying!

Re: the ascorbic acid: Has anyone done the experiment using other ingredients: eg. replacing some of the water with lemon juice or other acidic juice, or cream of tartar?
re: the rise vs. spread, THANK YOU for addressing the EXACT issue that discouraged me from making einkorn bread. Can’t wait to try these modifications.

You’re welcome, I hear you : ) I have some bread slices in the freezer now that look like biscotti in profile lol

I tried to address the acid question in the past but didn’t test it.

I was intrigued with your original post about Mark’s use of diastatic barley malt and vitamin c in baking weak gluten flours. I was truly surprised that they had such a positive effect on my breads, most of which are 100% whole grain. I have continued to use this method with continuing success.

For the vitamin C, I’ve been using the following technique. My scale is not sensitive enough to weigh individual “doses” but did register the weight of one tablet and 1/10 of a tablet was the amount needed for my usual 300g of flour small loaf. I crush the tablet into a powder and then with a razor blade divide it by eyeball into 10 little piles. (I must admit that I feel uncomfortably like a cocaine addict in a movie when I do this, but I figured why reinvent the wheel!) I then scrape each tiny pile onto a little square of parchment paper, fold it up, and store it in a jar so I have enough at hand for 10 loaves. Probably a little overly obsessive, but it works for me.

Does the vitamin c dissolve in water?

@wendyk320 That’s a great idea, and bread bakers often do have razor blades for scoring so you might as well make additional good use of them ¯_(ツ)_/¯

@Abe I think the Vit C dissolves – it’s water soluble, unlike A,D,E, and K.

1 Like

Thanks @Fermentada. In which case @wendyk320 can dissolve a tablet in water and then use 1/10th of that in the recipe as part of the total water.

She’d have to store the rest of the water though if she wanted to have 9 more loaves’ worth.

Or drink it :slight_smile:

If the remainder falls within FDA approved daily allowance.

1 Like

HA! I’ve thought about adding it to the water, but since I add my starter to the water before adding it to the dry ingredients, I wasn’t sure how adding the vitamin C directly to the water would affect the starter, so I’ve been adding it to the dry ingredients.

If you dissolve the tablet in 100mls then all you need to do is add 10mls into your recipe as part of the total water.

10mls of water with vit C in a total of 350mls (for example if the recipe calls for 350mls water itll be 340mls water + 10mls vit c water) wont be detrimental at all. In fact what benefits bread as whole can only benefit a starter.

I’ll give it a try some day and add my 1/10th tablet to the 220ml of water + 50g starter and see how it goes.

@wendyk320 you dont have to cut the tablet up if you do it that way.

If tou dissolve the tablet into water and then use 1/10th of the water then you have 1/10th of the tablet.

No cutting and easier to measure.