Einkorn Cardamom-Cinnamon Rolls Naturally Leavened

This is a mash of 2 recipes: my favorite cinnamon roll recipe (The Clever Carrot’s Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls) and a recipe I saw this last week:Einkorn Cardamom Sourdough Rolls.

The Clever Carrot’s Sourdough Cinnamon Roll recipe is the first “sweet” recipe I made with my starter. I have been able to make this recipe EXACTLY as written with great success. Now, my white flour (WheatMontana AP) is a high protein, hard red wheat flour and absorbs more liquid than softer flours. If you make the recipe as written, you might need a bit more flour, but as in my below Einkorn adaptation: add a little (1 T) at a time and allow time for it to absorb liquid. Too much flour will lead to tough rolls. Also, this particular recipe is not super sweet and even with all white flour, it is not “bready” like a bakery store cinnamon roll … it is more brioche-y. So, know thyself as well as those you bake for … if they like the thick, bready bakery roll, this might not be for you :).

Einkorn … I saw the Einkorn Cardamom recipe on Food52 and decided to give that a try. BUT, it has twice as much starter and after some thought, took the Einkorn to White flour % and applied to The Clever Carrot’s recipe.

160 g (2/3 cup) milk
56 g (4 T) butter
1 XL egg
100 g active starter
24 g (2 T) sugar
197 g all purpose flour (I used WheatMontana White AP)***
140 g whole grain Einkorn (I used Breadtopia Einkorn berries, ground in VitaMix)
3 g (1/2 tsp) fine sea salt (I use a Celtic fine salt)

***I started with 160 grams AP. The dough after mixing was too wet. I added a little at a time and ended at 197 g.

Filling 1/2 cup sugar, 1 scant tsp cardamom, 2 tsp cinnamon
Cardamom can be overpowering. If you LOVE cardamom, you can use more … I was happy with the above.

Glaze
butter
cream cheese (I use a soft, mild goat cheese)
powdered sugar
milk

I used the method as written in The Clever Carrot’s recipe.. Yesterday, I mixed the dough early in the morning, rolled and cut rolls about 10 hours later and refrigerated the cut rolls. I baked this morning after 1.5 hours at room temperature.

I have also made this recipe spur of the moment mixing in the evening, no fold or stretch … straight into the frig for overnight. Continue next morning with 1-2 hours warm up, fill and cut rolls, final rise and bake.

Below are the Einkorn results:

Right out of the oven. ( the middle funny rolls are the ends and 2 bits that were smaller than the outer rolls)

Those look so good, Liz! A successful mash-up of recipes and flavors. I want to make these soon and I’m starting by making a cup of cardamom tea :wink:

1 Like

Thank you! I am enjoying them … I have a cardamom-cinnamon tea I like also :slight_smile: