Durum Seseme Levain Bread

Hamelman has two recipes for this bread that I frequently bake, Semolina Bread with Sesame seeds, and Durum Bread made with a Biga as well as a levain. Since I frequenly use flour from Central Milling, I decided to try their recipe on their website. It’s quite similar to Hamelman’s Seomolina. The preferment was 539g so the bulk only took two hours, as did the final proof, and it was a fairly quick and easy bread to bake. This is a delicious bread for sandwiches for my lunch.
Richard

3 Likes

Wow Richard, does that ever look amazing. Sesame and semolina are perfect together and that loaf must be so delicious. The crumb is beautiful.
Benny

1 Like

Perfection! Durum is your forte, Richard. Agree with Benny… Durum and Sesame are excellent together. Now all it needs is some good quality extra virgin olive oil.

Thanks Benny and Abe. I do love Durum.
Richard

Wow, look at that crumb! Fabulous!
–AG

Thanks, AG.

Did you use Central Milling semolina flour or regular, whole durum flour?

Hello Otis,

Central Milling has two durum flours, Organic Whole Durum and Organic Pasta Flour (also called Organic Extra Fancy Durum Flour) which is just the endosperm of the berry, or Semolina milled down to a fine granulation. The latter is what the recipe called for an what I used. I have made almost the same bread from Hamelman’s Bread book and used Semolina Rimacinata flour which is similar to the Organic Pasta flour. I’ve mostly used whole durum flour by adding it to bread flour and haven’t baked a 100% whole durum loaf. Hamelman doesn’t specify which Durum flour he uses in his recipes and I imagined it was probably whole Durum flour, but I used Rimacinata because I’m addicted to it’s flavor and texture and the softness of the crumb, and it worked out well.
Richard