Dough rising bucket

Is the 2qt dough rising bucket here in the Breadtopia store the right size for baking a single loaf of bread from the Breadtopia sourdough recipes? I’m interested in getting one. I honestly only bake a single loaf at a time and feel that a 6qt bucket may be simply too big for my needs and storage. Am I correct?

Many thanks and blessings,
Leah

Those are food storage containers for restaurant use. Cambro makes all kinds of sizes and styles. For the round style, the 2qt and 4qt use the same lid and have the same foot print – the 4qt is just taller. Depending on how much your dough is going to rise, a 2qt should hold a loaf of bread, but it will be close if you get a good rise. I would feel more comfortable with the 4qt for the extra headroom. The 6qt is almost as tall as the 4qt and is bigger in diameter, too big.

Hopefully this picture will give you a better idea of their volume. Tomato sauce is in the 2qt, green beans in the 4qt, and carrots in the 6qt.

For grain/flour storage, I use 1qt, 2qt, 4qt, 22qt rounds:

500-g freshly milled wheat and a scoop fits in a 1qt.
4-lbs wheat berries just barely fits in a 2qt.
5-lbs of flour and a scoop fits in a 4qt.
1 whole chicken, marinating, will fit in a 4qt.
25-lbs of flour and a scoop fits in a 22qt.

ETA: I just remembered, I do occasionally use a 2qt Combro for single loaf dough. It is not the round one, it is square, so the 2qt round one should work, too. The one I use is like the two in front, on the right with limes or cranberries:

Leah, I prefer to use a larger sized bowl to mix the dough, but I then transfer it into a lightly oiled container for bulk fermentation. I do believe that the 2L bucket would work well for one loaf for bulk, as long as you didn’t get more than a doubling in size. I do like the Cambro buckets as you can get a good idea about how much rise, and can see fermentation bubbles on the bottom and sides of the container. The one sold on Breadtopia is opaque and BPA free, whereas the clear ones sold elsewhere are not.
Richard

@Otis Otis, thank you SO much for all the extremely useful info! When I mentioned storage I’m so sorry for not making myself clear. I merely meant simply finding a place to keep the bucket when not using it for rising dough. I truly apologize. My mind was elsewhere when I posted this thread. Please forgive me.

@evnpar Richard, I’ve been using a larger sized ceramic bowl to mix my dough as well, since I started baking back in 2018. I’ve also been using the same bowl to rise my dough all this time but because it’s ceramic I simply can’t tell if my dough has doubled or gotten to where I want it. After three years I guess I’ve gotten frustrated enough at not knowing how much my dough has risen. That’s why I was thinking of buying a rising bucket. I don’t necessarily need a clear bucket as I believe the one sold through Breadtopia is translucent which means I should be able to determine how much my dough has risen as it is marked for easy reference. Since I only bake one loaf at a time that’s why I was considering the smaller round one, the 2L. Storage space in my cabinet is at a premium too. So if the round 2L will work for my needs, that’s what I’m considering buying.

Blessings,
Leah

A liter is 2.1 quarts. Measure how much water your current bowl holds, and you’ll have an idea how much dough the 2L bucket holds. I think it would work well for you.
Richard

It is. That is the one Richard mentions as opaque … translucent … same thing, just different. :slight_smile:

It will meet your sourdough needs. It is too small to use for a loaf of bread if you are using baker’s yeast, like if you were to make classic white sandwich bread. It is ok for most single loaf sourdough.

That said, I prefer the square Cambro containers for letting the dough rise. It is easier to get the dough out.

You are right, translucent. Just don’t get a clear Cambro. I also like the square Cambro. They make it easy to make coil folds in.
Richard

@evnpar Richard, that was an excellent idea and one I hadn’t thought of! I indeed measured my favorite dough mixing bowl and it will hold 2.1 quarts of water (71 ounces).

@Otis and @evnpar You both prefer the 2L square/rectangle shaped bucket instead of the round?

Richard, I’m curious. Why did you advise not to buy a clear Cambro? The clear one sold here at Breadtopia is much larger than what I personally need so I really wasn’t considering it.

Many thanks!
Leah

The clear ones are not BPA free, if that’s important to you, and the translucent ones are BPA free. BPA (bisphenol A) is an industrial chemical used to make certain plastics and resins. Some research has shown that it can seep into food and possibly effects the brain of infants and children, and research suggests a link between BPA and increased blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. However, our FDA has said that it’s safe in very low levels. It’s just as easy to purchase the translucent Cambro and not have to worry about it.
Richard

1 Like

Regarding the shape, I too prefer a square bucket because it takes up less space in the cabinet for storage and in the fridge during cold proof.

@Otis @evnpar @oaklandpat When I place my order I’m now planning to order this one:
Dough and Storage Bucket w/Lid – 2 qt. Square | Breadtopia
I like the fact that there are more measurement markings on the square one AND it seems to actually be a tiny bit bigger than the round 2 qt bucket which will allow for a more enthusiastic dough if Cyril seems to get a wee bit more excited or agitated.

Thanks everyone!
Leah

I rarely bake only one loaf, Leah, although I did it this morning with a new recipe from Abe, and just for you, used a 2L round Cambro bucket, and it worked well. My square Cambro buckets are all larger than 2L so I couldn’t use one. I think you’ll be pleased with the bucket.
Richard

1 Like

I agree. It is most convenient to bake about 3 loaves, so that it will last for several days (if we are talking about making bread at home for a family). Making dough every day is not very convenient.

@TimWil Good morning! It’s just my husband and I in our home now as we’re empty-nesters, unless you count our dog but he isn’t particularly fond of bread. :slightly_smiling_face:

I tend to keep a couple sliced loaves of homemade sourdough bread in my freezer “at the ready” so we rarely run out. That way I only need to bake a loaf every couple of weeks or so.

Blessings,
Leah