Different ways of folding

I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the differences between the different methods of folding the dough during bulk fermentation as an alternative or an aid to kneading. Most methods seem to be a variation on either “coil folding” (lifting the dough with both hands and tucking under) or “stretch and fold” (working around the bowl with one hand and folding over). I usually do the latter.

What are your preferences, and why? Is one more suitable than the other with certain doughs? Or have you noticed any differences in the results of using one versus the other?

Coil folding is excellent for the higher hydration doughs. It’s much gentler, with a lighter touch for a very open crumb. Think of breads like Pan de Cristal or Ciabatta. You’re looking at hydrations of at least 80% to 100% where too much handling isn’t ideal.

I can think of another… Slap and Fold.

1 Like

When I want the most strengthening impact with the least time commitment, I laminate the dough. Just make sure to do at least one round of something else e.g. coil folding later on, in order to even out some of the outrageous air bubbles lamination causes.

Video of lamination in this article:

1 Like