Difference between mixing bowl and shoulder bowl?

I have been looking into larger bowls for kneading bigger batches of bread. I like the Mason Cash line of mixing bowls here on Breadtopia, but I wonder what a “shoulder” bowl is as I have seen those elsewhere? Is there a difference, or reason to choose one over the other? Thanks!

@joesterreicher Hi Jennie! From what I can tell, the only difference in the variety of mixing bowls is the preference of the user as far as what the bowl is made from. Any of them will do what you want them to do. If you’re interested in the more “vintage style” shoulder bowls, they’re available right here on Breadtopia at a great price. Original vintage shoulder bowls available online may be quite pricy. The ones available here on Breadtopia are microwave, dishwasher and oven safe; a definite plus! If I needed a new ceramic mixing bowl, I’d personally consider these. Here’s the link: Ohio Stoneware “Friendship” Shoulder Bowls | Breadtopia I’m sure you’d be pleased with whatever bowl you choose.

Blessings,
Leah

Thanks Leah! Definitely a good price on Breadtopia site for the shoulder bowls. Just wasn’t sure if the shape/design of the shoulder bowls is better/same/worse than the mason cash bowls? I am probably overthinking it lol. I am hoping Breadtopia will get the Macienda tortilla press in stock soon as I want to place an order for that too :blush:.

1 Like

@joesterreicher Jennie, I’m laughing because I overthink EVERYTHING! Just ask my husband!

Blessings,
Leah

Ha! Well at least we can overthink together… I appreciate your suggesting the shoulder bowl! I hope it comes back in stock soon. There are a number of things on my wishlist from breadtopia… patience is not my strongest suit when I want stuff lol

@joesterreicher Aw, Jennie! I had no idea the shoulder bowl was out of stock!

I echo your sentiment! I’m on the wish list for some crumpet rings. They’re out of stock too. I tend to think the shoulder bowls will be back in stock quicker than my desired crumpet rings since the bowls are made in Ohio. With so many people making their own bread I’m thinking that larger size bowl is extremely popular these days.

Blessings,
Leah

1 Like

Shoulder bowls tends to have a larger base, which I prefer, than mixing bowls. When I’m mixing a large batch of dough by hand, I like the broader base as it’s less likely to tip over. Otherwise, the bowls are very similar and each would do a great job at mixing dough.
Richard

2 Likes

Thanks Richard! Helpful information!

@evnpar Awesome to know, Richard! Thanks for the information!

Blessings,
Leah