Dennis's Hokkaido Sourdough Whole Wheat Milk Bread

Hokkaido Sourdough Whole Wheat Milk Bread by @DennisM

(8x4x4 pullman pan)

Sweet Levain Ingredients (total 150g)

• 71g Fine Ground Organic Whole White Wheat
  • 31g water
  • 14g brown sugar
  • 14g white A/P starter

Mix together let sit overnight on counter or proof box at 78F. Should have a sweet smell with a slight tang.

Dough Ingredients

• 325g Fine Ground Organic Whole White Wheat 100%
  • Scalded milk 250g or as a substitute 125g Half & Half and 125g water 66%
  • 1 whole large egg 57g 18%
  • 12g Milk Powder 3%
  • 30g Honey 9.2%
  • 8g Table salt 2.4%
  • 30g Salted butter 9.2%
  • 12g Vital Wheat Gluten 3%
  • 150g sweet levain 40%

Total Hydration = egg (57g x 85%) + honey (30g x 20%+ 31 +250g = 351g 96%
Total Flour = 367g

Directions:

1. Scald milk and cool to <104F.

2. Mix all ingredients except butter using a mixer set at low speed until a soft dough forms. Hand kneading is NOT advised.

3. Once the dough forms introduce butter incorporating. Continue mixing on low speed for at least 25 minutes or more or until the dough becomes semi-elastic. It is very important that the dough becomes elastic and stretchy. When ready it should clear the sides of the bowl. If dough is not stretchy the outcome of the bread may be less than ideal.

4. Empty mixer bowl to the counter turn into a rough ball (you may need to wet hands as the dough will be on the sticky side) and cover dough with plastic wrap to protect from the air and proof the dough in a warm/humid place (82F is ideal) until it roughly doubles in size (approximately 40 minutes depending on conditions).

5. Divide the dough into 3 (6 if making 16” loaf) equal parts and shape into smooth round balls. You may need to wet hands as the dough will be on the sticky side. Allow to rest for five to ten minutes.

6. Flour the rolling pin then dust counter and dough balls lightly. Roll into flat long oval shaped pieces measuring about 8” in length.

7. Tuck and roll dough into a tootsie roll.

Illustration with permission: The Rolling Procedure from Christine’s Recipes

8. Using rolling pin flatten dough perpendicular to the rolled up direction then you will be re-rolling in the opposite direction as in step 6.

9. Repeat for the other two balls, then place in the butter greased pan with the seams facing down. Gently nudge the surface of the dough to make an even surface.

10. Cover dough with plastic wrap and allow to proof in the pan until it reaches approximately 1” from the top.

11. Pre-heat oven to 425F (225C) for 30 minutes then place pan in oven. If square loaf is desired slide the lid onto the pullman pan. If a domed style then leave the lid off, spray the top of the dough lightly with water and place in oven. Reduce heat to 355F (180C) and bake for 25 minutes until hollow when thumped on bottom.

• Rofco Instructions • Preheat until stone temp is 180C then place pan in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Check with digital thermometer showed deck actually running 20C higher then setting.

Notes:
Hey well this was interesting as I made another whole wheat using my basic white Hokkaido recipe and substituting 46% or 150g of sweet starter to the 325g of Ruby Red Flour. I over matured the levain and timings were drawn out because of it. The Ruby does not rise as much as others and it threw me off as only about doubled in size.

The bread has no sourdough overtones to the crumb even though total ferment times were 12 hours at 84F.

I did not do the tangzong and frankly if there is a texture difference it is so slight I cannot tell. Frankly I have tried the tangzong several times in the past and with the same result in the crumb so found it was a wasted step for teaching.

My recipe hydration is 96% but the Ruby flour does not absorb as much water or rise as high so I ended at 75% hydration. I should have added 3% vital wheat gluten to the recipe especially with the Ruby.

Maybe I will not over bake next time either, left in too long 40 minutes as it dried it out slightly First time baking in the bread oven on the patio this spring and forgot I needed to cover the loaf with foil.……MY BAD!

2 Likes

Very nice, it is always interesting to see what other bakers come up with.
Benny