Deciding between Mockmill and Komo - beginner question

Hello, I am trying to decide between the Mockmill 200 and the Komo Fidibus Classic. I am leaning toward the Mockmill.

I want to mill medium-high extraction flour. My question is, I have read that the Mockmill grinds finer flour with more uniform particle size than the Komo. But wouldn’t that make it harder to remove some of the bran? Is the Komo actually better for medium extraction flour?

@teukros Hi! I can only speak to my experience with the Mockmill, which I totally love and am thrilled with. The quality of the milled flour it gives is phenomenal. In my opinion, the finer quality of the milled flour is certainly worthwhile over potentially removing bran. If you use a good finer sieve sized sifter (try saying that fast :crazy_face:) you’ll certainly be able to get the extraction level of flour you’re looking for. You might need more than one pass through the sifter, but in my opinion that’s a small price to pay for overall better quality of milled flour.

Baking blessings,
Leah

Thanks! I definitely want to get a mill as soon as I have the money, probably a Mockmill. Hopefully in May. I can’t wait!

I wonder if for “lighter” dough for pizza and fresh pasta (fewer bits of bran to cut through the gluten strands), I should grind the grain fairly coarsely, sift out a lot of the bran, and then grind the flour a second time at a much finer setting?

@teukros That would work. Another option would be to grind your flour as finely as you want the first time and simply sift that flour. Put the remaining bran that doesn’t sift through back into the mill a second time. Then mix the finer milled bran back into your flour.

I re-read your comment and am adding this because I think originally I misread what you wrote: I would simply mill the flour at the finer(est) setting you desire and simply sift out the bran if you don’t want as much of it in the flour you want to use. I was thinking, possibly mistakenly, that you wanted all the bran back into the flour, just milled finer. Since I don’t make homemade pizza dough nor pasta, I don’t know enough about them to truly advise you. Our Breadtopia nutritional guru, @Fermentada Melissa will certainly be able to help you. I don’t want to steer you in the wrong direction.

Baking blessings,
Leah