Cranberry Pecan Milk and Honey Bread

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

1 Like

I live in Colombia where special flours are not available. What can I substitute for the Rojo? I can get whole wheat and rye.

Whole wheat will work well. (As with any flour substitution, be prepared to need more or less liquid than the recipe states.) I hope you enjoy the bread!

Do you have a recommendation on % milk fat?
Thanks

I used 1% milk. Higher fat may need a little more to hydrate the dough, but not much.

Wow… that looks delicious! Must admit i’ve done many a walnut loaf but never pecan. And I love cranberries. Definitely on my to-do list. Thank you @Fermentada

1 Like

I am making this now & am at the proofing stage, and wondered if there is a typo in that part of the directions…proof “for several hours,” but then you mention your proof took 2 hours in a “cool kitchen”…?

You’re right that is a bit contradictory sounding without all the details.
My kitchen was around 68F and my dough was starting out warm from the bulk. It took 2 hours. But if the kitchen or dough were cooler, then I think it would take several hours. (I’ve been keeping my kitchen/first floor at 55 at night and 65 during the day so maybe I’m redefining cool also lol)

Yum! Live in Denver, made as directed. Made a 5 braid and baked 40 min. I believe I didn’t make as thick as picture. Thanks for great recipe.

1 Like

Beautiful! That is a lovely braid and crumb. Good point about different braid shapes needing different cook times.

Hi,
Want to be sure. The honey is only for the wash.
Thanks.
Looks like our Friday Halla.

50g honey in the dough (you can substitute this with agave or maple syrup if you want)
optional tsp in the wash

Really delish! I subbed 1/2 cup buttermilk for part of the milk and the flavor was so good. The video was excellent - I made a 6 strand braid with no trouble. I’ll definitely make this again.

I’m so glad you enjoyed the bread. Buttermilk is a great idea!