Courage Bagels Apollo Bagels

Does anyone have any tips to recreate these sourdough bagels. They have a thin crisp glass like crust on the outside and soft airy fluffy interior.

There are two shops really doing this technique- courage bagels in la and Apollo bagels in nyc

IMG_2968

I’m guessing you need more water in the dough than the typical bagel recipe calls for. Perhaps there is a sugar in the boil too, which might explain the color and texture to the crust.

That’s what I figured but it’s hard to get a crumb like that with a dough you have to work/shape so specifically without loosing the structure. And I think they use honey in their water. Probably a high concentration

True. There is a lot of degassing of bagel dough in the shaping. Baguettes are pretty airy and they get rolled a bunch too, so there is hope. I usually make baguettes with about 67% hydration fwiw.

Two things I would think a bagel has to have…

1: Malt
2: Boiled before baking

There will most probably be a pre-ferment like a poolish and a long cold ferment be it at the dough stage or after they are shaped. Then a very bold bake.

The rest is trial and error. Strong bread flour, start at around 65% hydration and work your way up to the desired results.

1 Like

There is another way to shape a dough into a bagel that significantly reduces degassing. Instead of rolling it into a cylinder, poke a hole with your finger and, without lifting your finger or the dough from the table, increase the size of the hole to the desired size with a circular motion. If necessary, when the hole is large enough, you can take the bagel in your hands and rotate it with your fingers inside the hole to make it larger.

I don’t know if I made myself clear. If I find a video, I’ll post a link.

1 Like