Country Rye Bread-Tartine Bread

My test run this week was Country Rye Bread, recipe was out of Chad Robertson Book, Tartine Bread. The only modification I made was I reduced the overall hydration to 75%. I scaled the recipe to make 2 x 1 kg round loafs. For the Levain build I used my sourdough starter with 50% ARW flour and 50% whole wheat flour where 80% was Einkorn whole wheat flour and 20% whole wheat Spelt Flour. I didn’t want to mill additional Einkorn wheat just to get the additional 8 grams that I needed to reach 40 grams after I had used my last of whole wheat Einkorn flour, I saw in my refrigerator I still had some whole wheat spelt flour so I used 8 grams of that to finish making up the 40 grams of whole wheat flour that was needed for whole wheat portion. I set up my Nutrimill Classic for medium grind/fine for the rye grains that I milled for the whole rye portion of the recipes. Both loafs were baked in my Emile Henry Bread Cloche. Very happy with this recipe. This is another keeper recipe.

3 Likes

Lovely bake. And since you like to use einkorn flour swapping the whole wheat in the recipe for wholegrain einkorn flour and dropping the hydration to around 70% makes for a very tasty loaf.

I am really like the flavour from Einkorn wheat, I now prefer it over Hard Red Spring Wheat.

Beautiful loaves Bob, did you also use einkorn in the dough or just the levain?

Just in the Levain build, Whole rye flour used in final dough.

1 Like