Converting Cake, Cookie, and Pastry Recipes to Whole Grain Flour

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

1 Like

Excellent article Melissa. Like you I try to add some amount of whole grain to many of my bakes. I’ve added Whole Red Fife to pie pastry, einkorn to cookies and all sorts of whole grains to various breads of course. I’ll save this for future reference.
Benny

Thank, Benny :blush: Your baked desserts always look and sound amazing.

Just what I’m searching for! I am all in to baking cookies - my whole life. I’ve search the internet for recipes with freshly ground whole grains for cookies and there are sooooooo few, those few, usually with purchased whole wheat flour. Usually a spice cookie or chocolate chip oatmeal. But there are thousands of cookies, I’ve been hoping for someone to start experimenting! Cookies require much less time commitment than a new bread recipe.

This post is encouraging me to experiment. I don’t do that well, I want recipes. I’m insecure trying them out. You’ve given me the backbone to try from.

While baking overseas, I made a few whole grain cookies. However, in another country, every other ingredient can also be slightly different butter, sugar, cocoa…especially AP flours can be significantly different in each different country!

I haven’t tried them much back in the USA yet.

I loved making these soft chewy molasses crinkles with whole grain spelt or home sifted/ bolted spelt with great results. (Looking for recipe)

Oh please post your shortbread recipe!

I hope the blog post is helpful for your whole grain cookie baking.

It looks like the website with the shortbread recipe is down, but I reached out to the blogger and she sent screenshots of her recipe to share here.

And here’s her Instagram account if you want to see more of her baking and cooking:
https://instagram.com/naturally.leavened.herbivore?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I have done this with Kamut, as I noted in the blog post, but I don’t have my specific hydration adjustment (increase) info. It was by feel.

Great article and what I’ve been looking for to use the Einkorn berries I grind in my Vitamix. Using the guidelines in the article, if using 100% whole ground einkorn with the carrot cake recipe, would you add an extra egg and leave out the 1 tsp of water?

And, if trying to follow the carrot cake recipe, would ground hard white wheat be an OK substitute for the red fife?

Update - Used 140g hard white winter wheat and 120g einkorn with 5 medium eggs and no water. Texture is excellent - moist and light!

The finished cake. Used the frosting recipe cutting back on the sugar.

Ack, I’m sorry I missed your question. I’m glad you went ahead and baked the carrot cake. It looks and sounds amazing. I think with all einkorn, I’d do the same, maybe minus the extra tsp vanilla as well.

Thanks Melissa - I’ll give that a go next time though the wife will not want to change a thing. Haha

Ha! Fair point. My kids would like me to never vary my sourdough ciabatta from 10-20% whole grain flour.

Nany's White Cake Recipe | Allrecipes my favorites and my family’s