Combining grains

Please share your thoughts on combining these (some or all) freshly milled wheatberries to make sourdough bread: Einkorn, Hard Red and Hard White Wheat, Spelt, and Kamut. Include ratios please. Thank you!

Oh, this sounds like fun! I have several of the grains you mentioned and plan to use them precisely as you described. I’ll check back in the next time I mill and bake some mixed grains sourdough bread and let you know how it goes :blush:

It sounds like a fun project. Ratios depend on your goals for the bread texture and your flavor preferences. If you’ve already baked with each wheat solo, then you probably have a sense of how they taste and turn out. Beyond that, I’d probably combine 2-3 at once so you can still identify what you’re tasting, enjoying or not liking.

Here are some recipes we’ve created with different combos.

If you bake with yeast rather than sourdough, this FAQ will help you convert recipes:

Spelt and Kamut/khorasan

Einkorn and Yecora rojo (hard red spring)

Red fife (hard red winter) and Hard white

Yecora rojo (hard red spring) and hard white spring and bread flour – you could substitute one of your other wheats for the bread flour. Einkorn would take less water. Kamut would take more. Spelt about the same.

All spelt

All Kamut

All Bolles (hard red spring)

All Einkorn

You can do recipe searches here by wheat type:

1 Like

Thanks, Linda!

These are so helpful, Melissa! Just the variety of ideas I was looking for!
Thanks so much, Janye

This screams Country Loaf.

I’d probably go for something like 50% hard white wheat, 20% hard red wheat, 10% spelt, 10% kamut, 10% einkorn.

So for 500g of flour that would be:

• 250g hard white wheat
  • 100g hard red wheat
  • 50g spelt
  • 50g kamut
  • 50g einkorn
  • (?g) water [however much is needed to make a nice dough - think tacky but not too sticky you can’t handle it - at a guess 70-80% hydration = 350g - 400g water but add it in slowly till it feels right]
  • 10g salt

But of course there is no right answer. It’s whatever suits you as long as it’s the right hydration for flours used and its handled correctly.

Well, Abe, the name “Country Loaf” is screaming my name! I so appreciate your reply and recipe! I can’t wait to try it!
Btw, I’m noticing (everyone seems to say this too) that bread made with freshly milled whole grains, ancient grains, seems to lack gluten to contribute to much rise. Just a thought, but would you consider adding a small amount of vital wheat gluten to dough?
Thanks! Janye

Since i don’t grind my own flour and never use VWG I really can’t give you a definite answer but there are some things you can do to counteract low gluten with different techniques. Are you making this a sourdough?

Would you consider including small amount of vital wheat gluten when using all freshly milled grains, especially because I’m including ancient grains? Oh and I wanted to mention that I am using an active whole wheat starter. I am not getting the rise that I used to get when starting with King Arthur whole wheat flour and including freshly milled hard red and Einkorn. Now I’ve eliminated the flour and am using freshly milled hard white, hard red, and Einkorn. This is a small loaf (300g wheatberries), 120g hard white, 90g hard red, and 80g einkorn. 100g ww starter and 85% hydration. Thanks!

Yes, sourdough using ww starter.

Two things I can suggest…

1: Use a low hydration starter. More yeasty and stronger. Might be worth doing a couple of builds to convert and get full advantage. Somewhere around 50% hydration.
2: Don’t do an autolyse. Include the salt, in the final dough, from the start.

That’s a nice looking loaf. Here are some blog posts that you may find interesting, including one that shows how to use vit C and malt for a better rise on low gluten doughs, and fermentation factors that can impact dough rise.

This morning’s loaf is looking better. I used freshly ground Einkorn, Hard Red Wheat, and small amount of whole grain bread flour. Reduced hydration to 75% and skipped autolease. Thanks for all your feedback!

1 Like