Clay Baker - Batard

I’m fairly new to bread baking, having only made 5 or 6 loaves. This is my first time using the batard clay baker. I used the original no-knead sourdough recipe. I need to work on my scoring, but overall I’m happy with this. I like it better than my usual enamel cast iron Dutch oven. The bottom was still a little “well done”, but I think if I invert a baking sheet under the baker, that might help.

2 Likes

Very pretty loaf congratulations. I never worry too much about the bottom crust being darker than the rest, we need that bottom heat to get that oven spring going. But yes, it it bothers you shield the bottom in the second half of baking or remove your dough after you remove the lid of the baker and place the bread on the rack above a shield below.

1 Like

Is your baker glazed on the inside? If it isn’t do you have trouble with dough sticking
or do you use parchment paper.

I have several different Breadtopia and Romertopf clay bakers that are all made of the same red clay. Some are glazed and some are not. I did find that the glazed ones seemed to stick less from the get-go, but after baking in the unglazed ones for awhile - maybe 10 loaves? - I’ve found that they developed their own glazing / seasoning and have more or less stopped sticking.