Chia Pudding Sourdough Bread

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

I’m SO intrigued by this recipe that I’ve already printed it off my computer so I can try it as soon as my sourdough, Cyril, gets his next feed and/or I’m ready to bake another loaf as I have a newly baked whole wheat sourdough sliced in my freezer. I especially like the fact that this bread is totally whole grain with simple limited ingredients and what reads to be easy uncomplicated instructions. Though I’ve been baking sourdough breads since 2018, thanks to Breadtopia, I’ve been on a bit of a baking hiatus for a couple years. My skills and “feel” for my dough have fallen a bit lax. As I start baking again, I’m sure “muscle memory” will kick in and I’ll soon regain my confidence with dough. Never fear though, I’ve kept my beloved and ever faithful sourdough, Cyril, happily alive all this time. He’s flourishing just fine.

This recipe sounds perfect for me as I store all my finished bakes sliced and frozen. I simply pull out a slice of bread as needed and toast it! I look forward to trying it.

Baking blessings,
Leah

I’m so happy to hear you’re getting back to baking bread and I’m impressed you’ve kept Cyril in good health all this time. I’m sure the baking feel will come back to you :slight_smile:

This worked out great as a pan loaf using fresh milled Rouge de Bordeaux. I upped the starter amount to 100g and did it as a same day bake.

I said it on Instagram and I’ll say it here too lol: What a gorgeous crumb :star_struck:

This is a great bread. I used 33g of teff, sorghum and millet, 170g of turkey red whole, and 235g of turkey red bread flour. I cut back the hydration because it was a bit too loose with 400g of water; I probably used about 360-375, or appr 75%. The extra liquid from the 100% hydration starter and the chia pudding was just fine.

This was an absolutely delicious loaf, one of the best! Both of us commented on how tasty this was. I’m impressed with the addition of the teff, millet and sorghum.

Aside: I use a Forneau Grande and an aluminum frame that I rise right on the Forneau tray flour for the second rise. The frame has no bottom, made from duct sheet aluminum (Home Depot) because I want to create a crusty toaster bread and not have the dough spread too much. At 30 min I take the tray out and remove the load for the next 30 min bake. (You might think the bread sticks and would be a bear to remove after that 30 min, but my handy squirt bottle of 50% avocado oil and liquid lecithin keep anything from sticking in ANY bake/cook and has no flavor so I coat the frame with that before the second rise.)

(I do wish someone would make nice frames like this with more sturdy aluminum, but I can’t find one anywhere. This would be a great product in different sizes and shapes to be removed about 1/2 thru the bake.)

1 Like